1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

4Runner towing question...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by HEM, Jan 15, 2007.

1. HEM

HEM LawnSite Member

Did a search, couldn't really find what I was looking for so here goes: I have a 95 4Runner. How feasible is it to use to tow a Bobcat or Case skid steer? Looking at getting into the skid steer business but I want to rent before I buy, I figure I can line up jobs for the same day and pay the daily price, like $180. Let me know. OH yeah it's a V6, not a 4 banger. Auto tranny too.

Chandler

2. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

3. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't even try it. There is no way it is going to work. I really hope that you are joking. Your front tires will be off the ground.

4. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

If the transmission doesn't cook the weight of the load will probably push you right through the first stop light.

5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

you kidding when you said you wanted to commit suicide....? right?...

6. HEM

HEM LawnSite Member

got it, thanks.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Bad, bad, very bad idea. With a skid loader you will want at least a 3/4 ton pickup or larger.

Its not safe
    The vehicle is not designed for that kind of work.

Its a poor idea.

8. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

HEM, sounds like a great idea! You can tow two skidsteers with that truck. Also, can I take out an insurance policy on you? Also, a list of your current customers would be nice!:) Seriously though, I've towed a perfectly weighted skidsteer with an s-10(4.3)...but, it was kind of hairy. I would not recommend it. Especially if you're using it for business, you'll melt that truck to the ground hauling a skid. A 1500 will work, but you'll have to be careful.

9. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I would still say nothing less than a 3/4 ton for a regular sized skid steer IMO.

10. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

ive towed a couple skids with my half ton and it is nerve racking. I have a few suspension upgrades as well, bigger braking system, and the 6.0 and its still ruff.