4th mowing free

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grass disaster, Mar 7, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i'm thinking of offering 4th mow free if they call before may 1st. will put it on a flyer, up to $40 in value. new customers only.

i thought about giving spring clean-up discounts but i never had good luck with that....plus i'm mainly looking for "lawn mowing" jobs. i seem to make more $ at that.

i don't always offer contracts. i think if i can get them to at least try my service and get them to actually call for an estimate i can get them for all year.

what do you think of this idea??

2. ProCut_48

ProCut_48 LawnSite Member
    from michgan

IS IT THAT HARD TO GET JOBS THERE?:hammerhead:

3. miketull8

miketull8 LawnSite Member

pro cut, where about are you from, east or west side of the state? Am curious when you think this weather will break to get flyers out?!! Crazy winter this year!

4. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't give ANYTHING for free. Especially with gas going up every week like it is, and the operating cost of that Z along with that WB (assuming you have one), not cheap. This business is expensive. You need the mindset of profit driven, out to increase the bottom line, not trying to make friends. I would try something else marketing wise before I would do a bunch of work for free. Maybe a one time discount, off mowing or discount off the bottom line from upselling them to other services. Just my .02

5. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I have recieved more customers by doing this than anything else...First cut FREE with seasonal contract. OR, Give our card to a friend or neighbor, for every customer that signs with us we will mow your lawn for FREE. Works great especially with the older folks. All it takes is a mention at the garden club and you are on your way. Our average turnover is very very low so this does catch up pretty quick and turns into profit. Good Luck

6. badassgrass

badassgrass LawnSite Member

We give them their 15th mow free ( price accordly). Don't want them to bail after the first one. It is working for us.

7. stripe one

stripe one LawnSite Member

I've been thinking about offering a free mowing as well. I don't see it as losing money, if it's what gets you the contract. Plus, nothing is ever free. I plan to add a few bucks extra to the bid to make up for the "free mowing". What they don't know won't hurt'em. Grass Disaster, where in MN are you?

8. old oak lawn

old oak lawn LawnSite Senior Member

i charge them for every cut. no free mowing. gas/ workers comp. ins/lib ins/commercial auto ins/ + all the other stuff eats me alive. the only way i might do it is first one free with a signed yearly contract, 32 cuts need it or not. but thats me

9. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

down by new prague...south of the cities about 30miles

10. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

if it works for you go for it