1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4th of July What's cookin?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Looks good. I'll try it sometime. Most rubs have sugar. I'm a contrarian though.
  2. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

Happy 4th!

I wish all you guys were here to feed ME! All I can cook is tacos and bagels.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I hadn't clicked the link before, but I just went through the "tutorial". Pretty typical, little variations here and there. I'm doing pork baby back ribs, using more of the brown sugar, and will baste more towards the end. I normally like real spicy foods, but with company I have to tame it down. Especially since my mom is coming up. Spicier the better for me. I didn't even mix in crushed red peppers which is the norm in most recipes for me.

Oh, and the GF is making homemade angel food cake, with fresh whipped cream and cut strawberries. Gonna be an eatin' fool today.
  4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Oh - Happy Independence Day from those darn oppressive Brits. :)
  5. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

One of my favorites. Nothing like fresh strawberries.

:::avoids bad taste statement connecting strawberries, whip cream, and GF:::
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

::Googles the word combination::
  7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I too had a strawberry shortcake today! Hit up my favorite restaurant in DC, Old Ebbitts grill. It's just down from the White House, Teddy Roosevelt used to drink there on a regular basis, I believe they even have some heads on the wall from critters he shot. I love old pubs/bars makes me wish I picked up drinking but oh well
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Peter, I assume you were refering to me. Hadn't been on here much lately just happened to check in. I cooked a brisket a couple of weeks ago and I disolved some of my rub and injected it in the brisket, WOW! if you haven't tried it you should it did seem to make a difference you could taste the flavor through out the brisket instead of just on the outside. Here are my smokers that you are talking about.

9. I will definitely do that on my next brisket. What is your favorite carving knife? I'm thinking about getting an electric knife so I can slice thinner. I may post some of your smokers on a BBQ forum I'm thinking about joining.

One thing I've learned about being in the north is hardwood doesn't grow on trees around here. I have to use a lot more coals without those mesquite logs. Read a story by Goode Company a Houston BBQ house and he likes to use green mesquite wood.
  10. mowerman111

mowerman111 LawnSite Senior Member

What bbq forum? I have pictures on the "smokering" as far as knives I bought a set of chef's knives from Sams it has a 8" and a 10" in it and the blades are thin and do a good job, the only electric one I've tried is a old one I have that belonged to my grandfather.

Green wood? I would think that would result in a bitter taste, You wouldn't need much, Everything I've read is that you just want a thin blue smoke not a heavy white smoke, which is what you would get from green wood.