4wd front mount mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by potluckman, Jul 21, 2012.

1. potluckman

potluckman LawnSite Member

Having received very helpful comments here in trying to select zero turn for mowing my large estate which has many steep slopes I have come to the conclusion that no ztr will do what I need. I have since been looking at the JD1545 and New Holland M35/G6035 4wd front deck mowers. My questions are one does any one know how much the deck will swivel up and down during mowing to accommodate sharp slopes. My steepest slope is about 30 degrees (measured) and comes off the side of a drive cut into a hillside so it drops off quickly. My JD 955 with belly mower will handle this but will tear up the sod sometimes if I don't lift the deck.

Second any strong opinions on JD versus New Holland.

2. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever heard of a vantrac?

3. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I second the ventrac

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

If money isn't a big issue, I'll third the Ventrac. It's made for the stuff you talk about and will stick to a hill. I'd imagine you'd want the dual wheel kit. They claim it won't tear grass on turns.

5. pflasch

pflasch LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

... and if you were living in almost any country (other than than the US, Canada and Mexico) Husqvarna has some really fantastic 4 wheel drive, articulated units!!

This is there Kubota 25hp diesel units!
    (The weight without deck is 1488 pounds)

and the second one is a smaller gas unit!
    (The weight without deck is 727 pounds)

The smallest Ventrac, 3000 series, is very nice (from what I've read) and are available here in the US!!

P_525D_H310-0551_hr.jpg

3b823b5b.jpg

6. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

found these on CL
    The Husky is a 970
    and the Terracut has heat/AC cab

I'm sure if you need a bigger Husky their global center
    could fix ya right up:)

husky.JPG

terracut.JPG

7. potluckman

potluckman LawnSite Member

No I had not heard of a vantrec but is an interesting machine. Two problems with it is they only have a 60 inch rear discharge and I want a 72 inch and I don't have a dealer close. Wonder if it is possible to double the tires on the JD or New Holland?

8. CraigPLC

CraigPLC LawnSite Member

9. pflasch

from VA

10. pflasch

from VA

Craig, this is one of only 2 units that they will import into the US.

The 322 is the better of the two, but Husqvarna classes it as "homeowner" series.

They make 2 more whole series above the 322... the next is "Landscaper" which is the entry commercial line... and then they made the "Commercial" Front Mount series (my first picture of the P525 - diesel)

They will NOT import either of those into the US... believe me, I've tried!! :-(