4week Old Hydroseed...starter Fert In June/july?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MARK D, Jun 20, 2005.

1. MARK D

MARK D LawnSite Member
    from NH

I have a newly hydroseeded lawn. It was put down about 4 weeks ago I don't know the mix. I live in NH and we have gotten a lot of heavy rain that has washed out some of the seed. I would like to put down a starter fert and overseed now( end of june) and then put down a turf builder fert (scotts) and overseed again in the fall. I heard that i should not seed or fert in June and July. Is that true? What do you pros recommend

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I had hydro done in March.......my guy said to do a starter fertilizer every 4-6 weeks through the summer and then a regular fert, with weed control in the fall.......

The goal is to build a good root system more so than a pretty lawn this year......

Derek

3. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

If the hydroseeding was done properly there should have been a starter fert in with the slurry. 4-6 weeks is a "general" guide line. If the turf you have now is starting to "Paleout" or yellowing it has used up all of the nitrogen in the mix. it should be okay to put down some for starter fert. Try to get it with slwo relesase nitrogen and you should be golden.

Good luck,

Mike

4. MARK D

MARK D LawnSite Member
    from NH

Thanks guys for the help. I had heard of the 4-6 week rule but was unsure about the time of year. I didn't want to burn the grass that did take or on the other side... not give the lawn what it needed to get established. Sounds like you both feel it is ok to do as long as I use a slow release nitrogen product..

As for the overseeding. It is very bare in spots and on a hill that we have it looks as though the heavy rain washed out a lot of the seed. I did overseed tonight. Should be in good shape by fall. When I plan to overseed and fert/(turf builder) and get on a seasonal plan.
    Thanks again

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I will be slice seeding mine the first week of September.......

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not a huge fan of starter ferts. Especially after 4 weeks. I would use a 24-5-11 or a similar product. My 2 cents. I have had good success with this method.

7. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

Sorry Hokie, I have to disagree with you. At this time you are still trying to establish the root system and any quality starter fert will have enough nitrogen to give the customer the green up that they want. In my opinion starter fert is a win/win green and root growth.

Mike

8. MARK D

MARK D LawnSite Member
    from NH

Thanks everyone for the feedback....I put down the starter fert and overseeded.
    I too will be slice seeding in the fall. The ground seems pretty compact in many places and I think this might have made it hard for some of the seed to take. Water and time will tell now I quess. That again.

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

"Sorry Hokie, I have to disagree with you. At this time you are still trying to establish the root system and any quality starter fert will have enough nitrogen to give the customer the green up that they want. In my opinion starter fert is a win/win green and root growth."

I agree that the starter will have enough N to green. The starter fert around here is only 25% PPSCU. Too quick for me. And all of the soil tests I have ever taken are high in Phosphorus. But as usual with this board that is my area and it may be different in other places.

The thing that stays the same is that it is definately best to apply 3-4 weeks after seeding. Fert that is applied at seeding is generally gone by the time the grass is ready to really start taking it in.

10. Shadygrove

Shadygrove LawnSite Member

Seeding in the Summer = one thing..
    Water...Water...Water...Water...Water..drink some beer...More water..Water..water.........