1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4X4 a must for plowing??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DoetschOutdoor, Jan 30, 2009.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Might be a stupid question but is 4wd necessary for those that plow? I gotta get a better work truck this year and alot of the flatbeds or utility beds I've been looking at are 2wd. I've been having so many customers ask about snow removal that I have to get into it next year and would be putting a plow on the truck. Gotta have 4wd/highly recommended for plowing? thx
  2. Lakewlc

Lakewlc LawnSite Bronze Member

4x4 is really good for plowing... but if you have ALOT of weight like a full sander you could get away with 2x4
  3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

it helps...but not "required"...i plow in a 550 with dump body...loaded with salt i didn't have to put it in 4 wheel at all

technically you are plowing the snow in front of you so you are driving on blacktop...driving between jobs is a different story though...4 wheel can be very useful when it comes to that
  4. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Nope not at all......as long as you have enough weight in the back you'll be fine. Besides, when your in 4X4, you loose turning radius.
  5. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are doing residential drives I would go 4 x 4 . But if you have large open lots with big runs 4x2 is fine. Smaller lots with lots of back and forth or cutting in 4x4.
  6. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

anything 3500 or less a 4x4 is a must. Above that they can carry enough weight for traction. I have been plowing for 20 years. Take it from me and get a 4x4.
  7. Truck_Stuff

Truck_Stuff Inactive

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

dont ask that question on that site...a lot of guys on that site are water head as$holes
  9. Truck_Stuff

Truck_Stuff Inactive

They can be mean, but its worth searching at least.
  10. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Yes, especially if you hate spinning tires. I can plow in 2wd, but its very annoying when the wheels slip here and there. In 4wd i can plow much faster. I would say buy a 4x4 truck for plowing and have the option for 4wd whereas the 2wd your stuck with 1 wheel spinning.