4x4 compact tractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rollacosta, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

hi guys quick question would a compact tractor say a kubota 25 hp 4x4 or simaler be able to pull a 3.5 ton trailer loaded comfortably for say half a mile max ..i need a tractor for my tree work mainly for when i got to get off road.im thinking about selling my 4x4 pick up as it doesnt seem to do enough work to warrent the cost of having /buying it plus i can use a tractor for rough paddock cutting and for powering a wood splitter.thanks for any replies
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The answer is no. Thats a really small tractor. You dont want to pull a trailer that weighs more than twice as much as the tractor.
  3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I pull more than that with my Ford 1520. If you are going to be pulling it on any kind of hills then just hook up the brakes to your tractor's wiring and use them manually to stop.
  4. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the terrain. Steep hills probably not. Fairly level ground, no problem.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

should work fine if your not going up steep hills.
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

As long as you get an L series Kubota you should be fine. Just remember the brakes are only on the rear tires of a tractor. So if the back end comes off the ground while going down a hill. You have no brakes.

Powering a wood spliter is very hard on the tractor's hydraulics. I wouldn't recomment doing that.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, if you're looking into a smaller tractor like that, look at just a little larger, and don't go with anything under around a 33-35 hp. This will give you 30 hp out the back, and I'm told that that is what you want for a brushhog and some other attachments. As far as a tractor like that for myself, all I can say is HA! I WISH! Maybe some day....... Good luck with it!
  8. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the replies ..i doubt i would use it on hills as its fairly flat around these parts ..we have a wood splitter over here that is dirt cheap and it works of the pto its called a worm basicly its a large cone shaped drill , you push a log onto it and /the worm splits the log effertlesly..i would be looking for a good second hand tractor if i get one, overhere they realy hold there price there not cheap ,i would also get a loader for it they come in very handy.personaly speaking i think a tractor has more uses than a 4x4 truck and they hold there value better
  9. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Those PTO wood splitters work very well but can really mess you up if you get any body parts caught in the PTO or if the wood binds up or starts to spin. The hydraulic log splitters are not any harder on a tractor than a loader, backhoe or any other hydraulic attachment. On smaller machines with low flow capacity, they work pretty slow, but it's not hard on the machine.
  10. JohnK

JohnK LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

As others have said it's not the pulling, it's the stopping that will be the problem. A dinky little 8 hp JD lawn tractor I have has no problem pulling over 1,000 lbs of rock in a trailer, traction is the problem going up hills not power, but forget about going down hill with that kind of load.