4x4 keep it or sell it ??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Rollacosta, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

hi guys i have a new 4x4 which i bought for work purposes ,yet it has only been used for work 6 times the whole time iv'e had it roughly £2,000 worth of work, iv'e had the 4x4 truck for just over 14 months..so with the monthly payments and insurance imo i'ts not working enough to warrent keeping..question do you guys think that in this biz it's essential to have a 4x4 ??
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. And no.

Like all things, it boils down to what you are doing with it. If you are plowing snow, 90% of the time 4x4 is needed/helpful. If you are doing 100% of your driving on pavement/gravel, pulling a trailer part/most of the time, 4x4 is not needed.

If you typically have to pull your trailer out of your lot that is often muddy, then, yes you need 4wd.

If you get a 2wd and are careful with it, you can do probably 90-95% of what you want to do with it. But it's always nice to know that you can simply reach down and pull on the lever and have the front axle pulling it's wieght too. Not that it matters to this discussion, but I will always pull the lever, never, ever will I push a button or turn a knob in a truck! The one time you really need that option (4wd), is the one time it makes that extra $$ worth it. But always keep in mind something I heard a long time ago... "Four-wheel-drive is only good for getting you 10 feet further than you should have been in the first place!" Not always true, but something to keep in mind.:)

Personally, I wouldn't have a fleet without at least one or two being 4wd. But that's just me. If I lived somewhere else where it didn't snow or rain much at a time, I probably wouldn't need/want it in a work truck.

Don't know if that helps any or not.:D

3. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i agree with D Felix 100%, they are nice to have around. a good 2wd with posi can go just about anywhere if the driver is capable but that little lever sure comes in handy.

i think that in the entire time ive been driving, ive used 4wd maybe 10 times. (unless im just playing) :p .but i dont plow snow. i load and unload on concrete or gravel 99% of the time.
  4. Rollacosta

Rollacosta LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for your replies guys ..i think i will keep it sods law is if i do sell it this winter i shall need it..we haven't had enough snow to warren't buying a plow in over 10 years ,global warming it must be after all every winter the river Thames would freeze over and the ice would be thick enough to hold a winter fair on it..back to subject as Dan knows i run a tree firm so chances of a 4x4 being used are quite high ,when it will be used i don't know but the chances are high :dizzy: i think :)
  5. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

All the old-timers up here in Maine and New Hampshire are saying this will be the worst winter in many years...maybe a good year to own a 4x4
  6. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

I kick myself often for not getting a 4wd. This is my first diesel, and that extra weight up front really makes a difference. I may only need 4wd 3-4 times a year, and a few more times it would be nice, but those 3-4 times I sure do cuss myself. And I dont deal with snow except maybe once a year.

7. weedwoop

weedwoop LawnSite Member

Old timers say that every year. Bad part is i'm starting to say it! :confused:
  8. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a 2002 GMC Sierra with 4 wheel drive (Z71).

Don't expect to be plowing with it, but it will come in handy if I get into any kind of trouble.

Don't know a lot about them yet, but my friends tell me that they have great re-sale value if they are looked after properly, which I will be sure to do!

In any case, I would keep it if you can afford it and justify it!

Best Regards,