4x4 or RWD

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by matt10486, Nov 17, 2010.

1. matt10486

matt10486 LawnSite Member

I am looking into getting a dump truck. I am debating if a 4x4 would be better to look into getting vs a RWD. I am wondering if a RWD dump would be able to hold its own while pushing snow or is 4x4 the way to go?

2. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

even though it is a heavy dump truck i still think you will need 4x4 because the backend will still slide around and for deep snow rwd won't cut it.

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

here in the northern VA area...TG had a few crew cab pickup trucks that were 4x4 but all the f450, f550's with dump bodies were all 2wd and performed good snow duty so long as you kept up with the snow and so long as you had weight in the back whether it be a sanding unit or a couple pallets of ice melt... or several scoops of snow from a front end loader

4. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

2wd will do it. Alot of people say it. Myself, I mess up way too much/take chances. Id be stuck 5 times a day.

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I vote 4wd

6. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

I plowed with a 2wd f450 dump last year vintage 1990 or something IDK what it was all I know is it was old FORD and a dump dually. It was okay, but you need to keep up on the roads, I got stuck like 3 times and had to call the tractor man to give me a push. I didn't mind and will use it again this year just because it's a small gated community and I have the tractor man when i get stuck. If I didn't have any of those, I would say forget it, unless it was a giant walmart parking lot or something.

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

skinny tires on the dualies...

8. matt10486

thanks guys. another issuse i thought of was when i go a dump after a lot of rain and i dump my truck will be lighter and chances of getting stuck go up. if i had 4 wheel i would have better chance of getting out. i'll just keep my eyes out, the right truck will come along.

9. DavidNJ

DavidNJ LawnSite Senior Member

There are two issues: traction and steering. Others here have talked about the traction issue. Weight helps; inclines can hurt.

However th weight can't change he steering. With powered steering wheels, you can turn the wheel and power yourself out of a tight spot. With rear wheel drive, the front wheels have to have enough traction to roll.

Note that can also be the case working in a muddy environment in the summer.

Unless the loss of fuel economy or the purchase price is a critical issue, I'd go 4wd.

10. matt10486

Yeah David, thats what I am leaning towards now. If I am going to spend money it might as be for exactly what I want and need.

Thanks again guys