1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4x4 the only thing here?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kharrington, Feb 9, 2010.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

2wd absolutely does not work for me. Boat ramps get iced up November through Feb. when hunting and its always a blast having absolute perfect traction when we have good snow amounts. Also nice to have 4wd to helpo out the old lady and my friends when they need it. Plus I cant stand the look of a 2wd versus a 4wd.
  2. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Pensylvania now fix it.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't going to touch this one but you got it wrong too.

4. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

i know, it was a joke :) hahah

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i would definitely recommend a 4X4
  6. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i honestly think the only people in the state who can spell it right are politicians and nerds. i dont know 1 person that can spell it right (from here) so we usually just say/write PA
  7. kharrington

kharrington LawnSite Member

You guys pulling with 3/4 tons mostly, cause it sure is hard on my Nissian I'm driving now?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Hoy landscaping

Hoy landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

3/4 or 1. even a 1/2 does ok.
  9. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of this depends on where you are and the kind of stuff you do (or plan to do) with your truck. If you're pulling a single axle trailer or a light tandem on mainly flat area, then a 1/2 ton in a 2wd will most likely suit your needs. However, if you plan to pull heavier loads, a 3/4 ton would be a good investment, and if you even think you might need 4wd, then by all means, shoot for it.

All my whole family had ever known (Grandpa, Dad, myself...) until 5 years ago or so was 2wd, and I'll say I've definitely never regretted 4wd at all. Then again, it's all mountains around here, so I use the 4x4 several times a week in the summer just to get up a couple of driveways...

One thing I'd recommend...don't go for a diesel unless you really need/want it, the cool factor will wear off quick in the face of the higher maintenance costs!
  10. kharrington

kharrington LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device