4x4's and 3/4 ton trucks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tlcgrounds, Jul 1, 2001.

1. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

I have a 94 1/2 truck and a 92 3/4 ton chevy I work out of. I usually use the Chevy for pulling. Here's my question: I am in the market for a new pick up. I love the way the 3/4 ton pulls and drives. I would like a 4x4 to replace the 1/2 Dodge. I have looked at prices for 3/4 ton 4x4s and that is a truck load of dough. I like the stiffer suspension of the 3/4 ton. Is the 4x4's suspension as stiff as the 3/4 ton. I will never be pulling more than 4,500 pounds with this new truck. Will a 1/2 ton 4x4 give me what I want! Also, Eventually I woudl like to add a plow to the 4x4. Where I live we almost never get anything larger than a 4 inch snow. will a 1/2 suit my needs or is the 3/4 a sure bet.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

A 3/4 ton will handle any plow better than a 1/2 ton. They do make smaller and lighter ones for a 1/2 ton, but when you get in wet slushy snow, the heavier 3/4 ton truck will do better.

For towing, the heavier the vehicle, the nicer the load tows. I would spend the extra money for the 3/4 ton, I did and I'm glad I did.

The ride on the newer 3/4 ton trucks is unreal compared to years ago. I drove a company truck 3/4 ton Chevy back in 1976 and if you hit a little bump, your head hit the top of the cab. Now this same bump is like a little ripple. LOL, I just realized how long that darn bump has been on this one street I go down every day. I wish they would fix it. :)

3. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

I'm with Eric on this. I have a 97 Ram 3/4 and a 93 GMC 3/4. Your 3/4 will have bigger brakes, heavier frame, stiffer suspension, usually a heavier duty trans, and a stiffer price. But these differences are more than worth the extra cost.

Scott

4. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

Spend the extra money for the bigger truck. It will hold up better in the long run and probably save you money in maintenance

5. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I thought the same thing when I was looking, I bought the 3/4 ton and have said many times "boy am I glad I didn't buy the 1/2 ton"

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I know some guys here that have spent $28,000.00 for a 1/2 ton Ford 2w/d with the gas guzzling 351. They could have spent 2,000 more and got a 3/4 ton diesel.

After owning both, go with the 3/4.

7. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Bigger brakes are the best reason to go 3/4 ton. If you can swing it, get a diesel. A smart @55 told me the other day a s-15 could pull my mowers. I replied, "will that s-15 get 16-17 mpg doing it like my 2500 dodge?"
    The 3/4 ton Dodge comes with a heavier rear suspension package option, I test drove one and it was much stiffer than mine.
    My 2500 rides better than my previous 1500 Dodge - the 1500's had a "bouncing" problem (band new felt like it needed new shocks).
    :blob3:

8. walkbehind48

walkbehind48 LawnSite Member

I have owned both (all Fords) and the 3/4 ton is worth the extra cost up front (for the reasons listed above). It will also be worth more when it comes to resale. I would not consider 1/2 ton if you are going to plow.

JRO

9. tlcgrounds

tlcgrounds LawnSite Member

It's all about the biggest and the baddest right. For you 3/4 4x4 guys, what kind of gas mileage diffrence do you get between pulling a trailer and not puling a trailer. I was once told that if you buy a dodge desiel you might as well leave the trailer hooked on because your not going to get much better mileage.

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

If you only planning on pulling a trailer full of mowers a 1/2 ton would probly be fine. But if you plan on hauling any mulch or topsoil a 1/2 ton isnt gonna make it up a steep hill! My f-250 super duty even struggles up a steep hill with a trailer full of mulch.... its times like that when I regret not getting a deisel!