1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bw, Jun 12, 2000.

1. bw

bw LawnSite Member

what's the advantage of having lockouts verses just shifting into 4 wheel drive and going?
  2. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Well most new trucks use an axel connect istead of hubs, in fact ford is the only one that still uses lock out hubs, except mabe Mitsubishi.<br>Well any way on new trucks auto locking hubs work well, but over time they will fail, so manual hubs are not only cheaper but you know for sure that the hubs are locked.<br>The axel dis/connect works very well, the older ones use vacume tubes from the engine, where as the new ones use an electric servo instead.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org
  3. kenneybros

kenneybros LawnSite Member

Yup those auto locks do indeed fail... all the time too! both of my friends 4x4's have had autos, but they never worked, the mechanisms wear out, or the hoses rot. The only advantage they have is that u dont get wet in the rain.
  4. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i have manual lockouts on my Chevy, & it's great because i can leave the hubs unlocked & shift transfer case into low range & have 2wd low! great for backing up my trailer uphill and keeping my tranny from cooking under slow maneuvering.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>