1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

4X6 Trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by WJW Lawn, Jun 12, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a buddy starting up...he has a 36" Scag...trimmer...edger... blower...the usual. He wanted a small trailer to start and was looking at a 4x6 to save a little cash. He wanted my opinion...but Im actually curious to see what you guys think? It would be a tight fit...but I guess he could put a trimmer trap on it. Thoughts?
  2. DavesLawnCarePlus

DavesLawnCarePlus LawnSite Member

A 4-6 should be fine for starting out... It's small, easy to tow, and easy to sell when his business grows. I think it's a great choice. Buy a snowbear 4x6 landscaper and he'll be all set.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the trimmer trap if he's trying to save money, those things run a few hundred + welding. He can spend 25-30 dollars on some chain and padlock and be good to go. I'm in my 5th year and I started with a 6x12x2 trailer which I still have, never to this day have I wasted the money on those racks, I guess it is a personal thing but I just don't see the benefit for what they cost. I'd be willing to spend 40-60 dollars on racks, but not no few hundred.

If he has to buy this trailer, then a 4x6 he should be able to find one used for 75-150 dollars for a basic homemade one, but he'll have to look long and hard or get lucky, I would still insist on a sturdy frame and something that doesn't look all decrepit. The only other thing is the tires, on a 4x6, those skinny trailer tires can easily take on several thousand miles but not 20 or 30 thousand, so he'll have to check the tire tread frequently so that one doesn't blow out on him.

Likely, unless he knows how to use a weedeater as a blower, he'll want a handheld blower as well, such as the Stihl bg-55 for 150'ish.
    Even if he does know how to use a weedeater to blow debris, it's not that strong and it only clears light stuff, so get the blower.

And, best of luck.
  4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Think he'll have enough room though?
  5. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Seems pretty small, but if money is a big issue then go with it! In a year or so he can upgrade to a bigger one!
  6. SSS 18734

SSS 18734 LawnSite Member

You should have plenty of room. I haul a 36" Gravely W/B, a 21" push mower, a trimmer, a blower, and gasoline with plenty of room to spare on my 4x8 tilt trailer.
  7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would tell him to get a 4x8 tilt which he could get a set of ramps if he didnt want to tilt it...or a 5x8....the 4x8 he could get at a yard sale or something real cheap
  8. Jeds_Lawn_Care

Jeds_Lawn_Care LawnSite Senior Member

9. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if I have ever even seen a trailer that small. Don't by that. When you are driving 55, those tiny tires will be turning way to fast. It will be a pain in the a** to back up. Where do you want to be in two years? Try to by a trailer that will work for that, so you don't have to by two trailers. I know it will work, but a cheapo lawn mower will cut grass also.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A 2ft x 2ft cage can easily be installed on the front for blowers and hedge trimmers etc. The mowers tuck in under it just keep it low so it easy to get into. Most welding shop can put you a trimmer rack on for small buck and even have a lock....usually two or three trimmers. Both of the items should be less than $400.