4x8 trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigkyle, Feb 20, 2007.

1. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

could i really fit any mowers onto a trailer this big?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Sure...what type of mowers? remember, you are looking at about the size of a pickup bed....actually, a bit smaller. I CAN tell you one thing....you would be FAR better off with a bigger trailer - for several reasons.

3. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

what size would you recommend

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

depends on what equipment you have. personally, I wouldn't go smaller than a 6x12. But if you have a 4x8, it will get you started. I wuldn't go out and buy one though, unless it is dirt cheap.

5. Oyster Point

Oyster Point LawnSite Member

7'x14' enclosed works well for us/ keeps equipment dry, safe etc. plenty of room to move around if needed. Work bench in the nose with a vented generator, allows us to sharpen blades (grinder on bench), grease (100 gal compressor allows us to use air driven tools). Nice to get out of the rain if needed, while still being productive.

6. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

hey oyster point i was wondering what type of equipment do you have i have two walk behinds and a push mower and a few trimmers and a couple of blowers and im looking to get a bigger trailer i have a 4x8 not getting it done did for the first year though but now im exspanding but i was wondering do you think i could get by with a 6x12 or a 6x14?....and also for bigkyle i would go with as big as money a permits....

7. bigmudder77

bigmudder77 LawnSite Senior Member

a 4x8 isnt very big but if your hauling like say one mower then it should be fine. also if you are hauling it with a truck then you have more room back there for stuff like push mowers tools gas cans and what ever else you can fit back there. but like every one is saying dont go out and buy one unless its cheap ebay had some real cheap ones on there a while back now there starting to go up more. maybe you can get lucky and go to some ones house that has one thats been sitting for a while and get it dirt cheap my dad did that when he wanted a bigger one all he did was put 4 new tires on it and a floor but he got it for free cause the guy didnt want it and didnt have any way to move it. good luck with it though

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

What kinda mower do you already have if any?

9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

It depends on how many lawns you will be mowing and what kind of mower you will be using. A 4X8 is a pretty small trailer but if your just starting out and don't have alot of equipment or only do small to medium residential lawns it should be ok until your business picks up and when it does and you need more equipment buy a bigger trailer to fit your needs. A 4X8 trailer will hold a couple 36"-44" walkbehinds and a 21" trim mower but as business grows l would suggest getting at least a 16" tandem axle trailer it might be bigger than you will need but it won't be for long.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL Oh, we're starting from scratch? If that's the case, i would DEFinitely set my sights on a bit bigger than 4x8.:weightlifter: