5,000 door hangers

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by oldturf, Mar 19, 2006.

1. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I have always concentrated on commerical accounts but this year I thought that I would try more residental accounts to go along with existing stuff and have developed a few nice accounts such as a full service account 39,000 sq ft. for $5,000.00 per year and a few more similar. But this week I am having 5,000 door hangers distributed in selected areas with established lawns and trees in hopes of getting more full service lawns or at least some that I can up sale. These hangers are advertising 0-10,000 lawns at $33.00, 10,000-15,000 at $39.00 and 15,00-20,000 at $45.00 for cut, blow, trim and edge plus additional services at additional charges. This offer includes a 10% discount with an annual contract. Now with some of the pricing I am seeing on here, I wonder if I am wasting about $1,000.00 printing and delivering these things. I'll find out. Any comments? The hangers also state that we will quote larger lawns and all that I have so far are the larger lawns.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I think you'll find that yes doing it that way you have wasted money because most people don't even know what the sq footage of their lawn is and all they will see is your "highest" price of $45 and that will scare them away. Esp with little Johnny down the street that will do it for $15 or the local drunk MowJoe that will do it for a 20 spot.

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Shouldn't cost you 1,000.00 do print and distribute.

4. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

What do you pay to hang door hangers? I will not pay kids a small piece price and have them thrown in a ditch.

5. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

6. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got my 3000 hangers for $110 from a local print shop. I handed out about 50 last week and got 3 calls the next day.

7. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree putting a set price on a door hanger will probably be a waste of time for several reasons, however if you customize a particular house price by doing the quote on the way to the door and saying this is your price you would have a better response. I for one use direct mailing postcards to specific neighborhoods and that is what works best for me.

8. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

5000 Door Hanger Cost Me 159.00 on color Stock

9. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

My hangers cost $325.00 for 5,000 plus $175.00for design work for full color 2 sided custom design and $60.00 shipping but my main question is what do you pay to have them delivered. I am using my regular crew that I trust will not throw them in the ditch and paying their usual $11.00 per hour. This may seem expensive, it does to me since this is the first time that I have done this, but I hope it pays off. In the future I will not have the design work to pay for. If I do this again. The delivery for my hangers is 3 weeks late and I do not really want to do business with HOTCARDS.COM again.

10. Envision

Envision LawnSite Member

I want them done and done right, so I pay $10 an hour. However, I find that it is very hard to keep people motivated at this rate. Seems like an easy and brainless task, maybe it is too easy.