5.4 liter on fords

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bigviclbi, Apr 6, 2005.

1. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Guys I did do a search but have a few questions. Right now I have a 1993 ford f-350 with a 460 in it. It is KILLING me in gas. I am thinking of going after a newer 250/350 with the 5.4. I have a dump trailer that weighs about 2500 and we haul 3-4 tons in it. Will the 5.4 be okay if I get the 4:10 gears? Are these easy to find since most of the 5.4 I'm assuming are not 4:10?Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on how often you want to haul. If its not regular like once or twice a month, it'd be fine. If you are going to be hauling regularly I'd consider the V-10 or the Diesel.

The new F-250/350's have better brakes so they are up to the task. Along with the Tow Command system in the F-250 or the Tow Boss system in the F-350, you could handle anything thrown at you.

The Tow Command is the integrated brake controller/wiring in the F-250 and F-350.

The Tow Boss is a complete package on the F-350 which includes the Tow Command system, 15k receiver hitch, 6.0L PSD, TS auto, 4.30LS rear, and 5700lb payload, IIRC.

3. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

dont get the v10 opt for the desil with gas prices goin the way they are :realmad: :angry: :realmad: you will be a lot happier with it. plus you can put a snorkel on it and drive though small streams and ponds. you cant do that with a unleaded engine

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Trailer = 2500# + 3-4 tons could weight in at 10500#
    Match that number to the tow rating of the truck and you will have your answer
    Max on the 5.4 is about 8700# in an 02 book I have, even with the 4.10
    Think you need the 6.8 or diesel.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

1st my jeep is gas and I can

2nd and how often do you need to do that in lawncare?? :p

6. Sunset Lawn Care

Sunset Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I have a 99 Superduty Extended Cab Long Bed with a 5.4 and 4.10's. I regularly pull around 3500# and it does O.K. but not great. I also have a 3 inch lift and 35 inch tires which probably reduce my gearing somewhat. My advice would be to get a 6 speed diesel and be done with it. I wish I would have been patient enough to do so, but I was in a hurry.

Hunter.

7. Sunset Lawn Care

Sunset Lawn Care LawnSite Member

One more thing....the older 5.4 has aluminum heads which are known to spit spark plugs and that is an expensive repair on an aluminum head unless you have a machinist buddy or own a machine shop. Unless you are looking for a new truck go V-10 or diesel.