1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

5.4?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cutbetterthanyou, Jul 21, 2009.

1. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if anyone knows the diffrence in the 5.4 that are in the 350s and the ones in the 150s. y 350s gas milage sucks,the power does to,and slow as a snail. he 150s are not that way a buddy of mine just bought one and is getting like 17-18 mpg towing 2 small ztrs. And not really a dog like mine. I know it can't be the weigh because his gets be mpg with mowers than mine does empty.Any ideas?

2. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

That is a good question. I have noticed the same. I have a friend that has both a F-150 and a F-350 with the 5.4 in both and the F-150 has a ton more power and does way better on fuel. Maybe it is the weight and larger tranny, axle, tires ect. that the F-350 has that really kills the power of the 5.4.

3. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

the 350 5.4 prolly has a different torque curve

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

1 ton versus half ton...quite a bit of weight difference. Has different gears most likely. The engines however are pretty identical. Its alot bigger truck, longer wheel base...theres a whole lotta difference between a 1 ton and a half ton man.

5. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

My F-150 has the 5.4 and it has great power and torque, it averages about 16mpg and 12-13 when towing a good load. The larger trucks have to have different torque ratings and shift points that affect MPG's. I personally think if you are going into a larger truck a diesel is the way to go.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Should be a different cam. possibly even differences in rotating mass between the two. I don't think you'll ever get the hd motor to perform like the light duty one. It should definitely outlast it though.