5.4K sq feet equals __ yards of mulch?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ATVracer, Mar 19, 2008.

1. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

First off just wanted to say I hate doing landscape jobs, I prefer mowing and lawn treatments. Anyway I am preparing a bid for a nursing home. I measured 5400 square feet of mulched area(there's about 20 different seperate areas). I have to remove all the old mulch and put new down. Just wondering approximately how many yards I would need for this job. I am guessing between 50-54 yards. I plan on charging around $65 installed price in addition to the labor required to remove and haul off the old. I haven't even checked on mulch prices but will do that tomorrow. Last I knew it was around $25/yard. Thanks for any input.
  2. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

5400 sq ft at 3" deep = 50 yards
    5400 sq ft at 4" deep = 67 yards

Good Luck
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's much easier to mow grass than to do landscape jobs. Mulching is probably the easiest "landscaping" job.
  4. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

Cool, I guess the 50 yards was pretty close since I was thinking 3" deep. I really don't want this job due to time constraints but man that's good money.
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

yup, 50 yards at 3" deep.

Chances are you really don't need to remove the old, I'd try to talk them out of it.
  6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

For future reference:

To convert sq. feet to cu. yds., divide square footage by 27 (there are 27 cu. ft. in a cu. yd.).

To calculate depth (for soil, mulch, gravel, etc.) multiply the number by the fraction of feet that you want (i.e. 4" is a third of a foot, so multiply by .33).

Hope this helps.
  7. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do it at 54 yards and spread it 3", and DO NOT remove the old mulch, that is a waste of time and the customers money...you want it to break down and become beneficial organic matter anyway. I would charge more per yard...we get $80 all day here...maybe give a small discount for volume, but your price seems low.
  8. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

5400 sq. ft. of total bed space???? How much of that area has plant material covering it, hosta, perennials, shrubs etc????? You have to account for plant material taking up space or you will highly overorder mulch and it may cost you the job too because you would be too high.

Why would you ever remove old mulch???

Can you just apply 1" this year instead of removing and let the mulch decompose thats there? If you change styles or colors of mulch it may poke through however!

1" = 16.66 yards.

I do it like this.

I calculate total bed space. Then I come up with a percentage of coverage needed. For instance if there were hundred of perennials or shrubs int he beds what area actually needs mulch? Usually it is somewhere between 25-75%. new Beds are closer to 100% because plants are immature, old old beds with mature plants are usually somewhere inthe middle but it all depends onthe individual site.

Then you take the sq. ft. of beds multiply it by the coverage %. That is your effective coverage needed. Then divide that by 12 to give you cu. ft. Then multiply by how many inches you want int he bed 1, 2, or 3". Then divide by 27 to give you cu. yds.
  9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If there is 3" or less of the old mulch don't remove it. Just topdress with new to bring it to a depth of 3-4". If the customer wants the old mulch removed inform them of the price savings from leaving the old stuff in place. I would only remove old mulch if it was so deep that it was inhibiting water movement into the soil. Sometimes old mulch can become hydrophobic and prevent water from penetrating.
  10. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also hit the old mulch with a roto-tiller attachment for a line trimmer. It will make it look like you took it all away and you can get paid on it. Also three inches is thick.