5 acre dilemma

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mp067, Apr 13, 2008.

1. mp067

mp067 LawnSite Member

got a question about pricing on a 5 acre property. the property has three buildings on it and a large pond. last year i cut, weed wacked around the houses and the pond for $100.00. took about three hours. everybody i talked to in the business here said 100 bucks was not enough and that i should charge at least $175.00 to $200.00. any comments on this.?
  2. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

I have a property thats just over an acre and we get $100. Take me with a 48 rider double cutting and trimming 3 hrs
  3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

We would charge $625.00 for that 5 acre property.

How how much are you worth? What else could you being doing that might make more money? How much does ti cost you to mow that property? How much do you want to make after costs?

At your current price you are making $33.33 dollars an hour. That is gross profit. How much overhead do you have per hour? I would assume you're probably making out with around $10/hr once it's all said and done.

I can work at McDonalds as a shirt supervisor and probably making more than $10.00 an hour. Not to mention I wouldn't be doing any work to begin with.

Here's one tip: Always charge atleast $60 an hour, this industry needs to hold to higher prices, and isolate the lowball worthless ones.
  4. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

that really low for five acres
  5. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i think 625 is high. we mow several 5 acre propertys and get $225 each. about 1.5 hrs work for 2 of us. i'm happy with that. wish i had 10 more.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

60 for first acre then 30 for every acre after that. So 60+120=$180 per cut if I were to do it and it would take me on the 60" and my father on a 48" about 1.5 hours to do it give or take a little depending on how much trimming is needed.
  7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I sure hope that $625 is per month and not per cut. If it is per cut you would go out of buisness from not having any business if you were around here.
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

man, i'd love to get 125 an acre. around here you'd be sitting at home doing nothing trying to get that much. i'd bid it around 200- 250. depending on trimming. goodluck.
  9. mp067

mp067 LawnSite Member

i m a two man operation and sometimes my helper is not able to work because he works the midnight shift at his full time job. i use a 60 inch rider to cut the property while my helper is weed wacking. then we blow the sidewalk (2) of them and the driveway.
  10. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

about 180$ around here, running my 60" and 72", it would probably take me close to an hour +/-