1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

5 Acre Home Site

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Loosestrife, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Loosestrife

Loosestrife LawnSite Member
    from PA

Need a little help here. We are not in the primary business of cutting lawns, so, I need a little help on the time that would be required for this job.

5 Acres of maintained turf, relativly level, split rail fence along perimiter, fertilized turf, non irrigated, low to moderate srting trimming(other than along fence, minimal to no edging.

Lawn area is to be cut and trimmed once per week.

A price per cutting is required.

Can anyone give me times required for cutting this piece of property with the following types of machinery?

36" walk behind with sulky.

60" Ztr

48" J.D. Conventional riding mower.

As I said, our primary business is not cutting grass, and currently, our largest commercial mower is the 36" walk behind. We do own the JD tractor, however, I don't know that that machine is a good choice for this job.

I would not be bothered spending the money on the larger ZTR machine, IF I knew that we would be on the jobsite for a long enough time to justify the purchase.

My plan is to cut it for a month with the 36" machine, to get a feel for the property and customer, then evaulate the situation. At that point, I will either finish out the season with the 36", and not renew for next season, or will make the upgrade to the ZTR.

I've got my own numbers in my mind, but would like to hear from others on what they think.
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It is hard to give a time on something without seeing it, this is why I never give a price over the phone.

I would say it would take 4.5 hours with the JD.
    3.5 hours with the 36".
    1.5 hours with the 60" ZTR.

Trim time is even harder to figure unless you can see it, but would say 1 hour with an experianced trimmer should cover it, since you said low to moderate trimming.
    I hope this helps. :)
  3. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Eric's times
    still have variables such as operator's speed
    and mower ground speed
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

not sure that one job would justify a ztr. of course u could let the job pay for the z and you are ready for anything.later
  5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Are you going to mow it solo or do you have someone else to help? What is your Primary business?

A thought is to upgrade the deck on the 36" to a 48, 52or 60 if the engine can handle it. You then will shave a little time off of your total to somewhere around 2.5 hours or less with some experience if the mower can cut that fast.
    Good Luck.
  6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

So if you have a 36" deck can you put a 48" on there? I was thinking about upgrading with my Exmark but didn't know if it would work. How much would this be around?
  7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

Usually the deck is up to half the cost of a new machine...With that in mind why wouldn't you go out and buy a new machine.

We "retire" our mowers when the deck is no longer usuable. Engines can be repaired, usually for a minimal cost, but over time, once the deck has been welded so many times, and the cut becomes poor, it is more cost effective to spend the cash on a new mower.
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

IMO, 3.5 hours would be an impressive time to cut 5 acres, with a 36" WB...

I'm thinking you will be there cutting for at least 5 hours with a 36".
  9. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

If you are anywhere close to upgrading the 60" will be a lifesaver for that size prop. And just because it looks level doesn't mean that you will be able to mow at full speed.
  10. I figure 35K per hour walking or 6+ hour’s +trimming time.

Which is a completely ridiculous IMHO to mow a 217K site.