5 Acre job!!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JTLAWN, Sep 13, 2006.

1. JTLAWN

JTLAWN LawnSite Member
    Male, from leesburg, Va

What is the best way to seed and fertilize 5 acres?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

with a tractor mounted spreader

3. JTLAWN

JTLAWN LawnSite Member
    Male, from leesburg, Va

Can I seed and put winterizer down on the same day???

4. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Do you mean overseeding? Are you going to aerate first? You will need to do something to incorporate seed into soil. Just broadcasting on untouched turf won't give results. You can aerate area to create areas for seed to fall into, and give you seed to soil contact. The best way would be to rent a tractor mounted overseeder that slices the ground and drops seed into the slits. As for winterizing, it would be best to apply a more balanced fertilizer, such as a starter fertilizer if you are going to be seeding at same time. "Winterizer" fertilizing usually consists of straight urea nitrogen such as 46-0-0, and that is not the best for new seedlings. Five acres is a lot of area! GOOD LUCK!:)

5. JTLAWN

JTLAWN LawnSite Member
    Male, from leesburg, Va

I was planning on going with scotts winterizer with weed control because the whole yard is full of weeds. Any recomendations, and yes i am planning on aerating before hand.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Stay away from the weed control on the new seeding.

7. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

you can't apply weed control during seeding. Typically you have to wait about 3 weeks before applying the herbicides, since most seed takes 21 days to germinate.

8. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

When you do get to weed control...are you licensed to apply herbicides, pesticides and fungicides in your state?

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

If the whole 5 acres is covered in weeds you might want to take care of them before trying to get good results from seeding. And 5 acres of weed control from Scotts will be ALOT of wasted money. Just go to your local feed store and get better products at more than half the price. Around here, I pay $20/bag for professional weed control and fertilizer that would cost at least $50 at lowes or home cheapo

10. JTLAWN

JTLAWN LawnSite Member
    Male, from leesburg, Va

Thanks for all the help, I am going to hold off on the seeding and just put weed control down