1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

5 acres of mowing, once a month??!?!??!?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by capnsac, Mar 18, 2009.

1. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you read correctly, I am bidding a 5 acre property to be cut ONCE a month. Best part is, NO TRIMMING INVOLVED, and it's all open field! I have two 60" ztr's that will be able to knock this out in about an hours time. What would this be bid at in your local area??

I will tell you what I am bidding it at once I see 5 figures from different users. :weightlifter:
  2. nylawnman75

nylawnman75 LawnSite Member

Wow, if half my jobs were that easy I'd be thrilled!
  3. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

$250.00, it seems like it would take longer than that if you're going to only cut it once a month. In my area, a months growth would be over knee high and thick too.
  4. ExtExc

ExtExc LawnSite Member

have to cut it twice? bag and remove?
  5. capnsac

most likely cut it twice, once at 5.5" and the next at 2.5".

No bagging
  6. capnsac

You're right, I forgot to mention the double cut
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

If your serious about it, I would skip the ztr.

Go find a cheap utilty tractor and a pull behind, or three point brush or finish mower.

5 acres is lot. Sounds more like a pasture than a lawn. No way would I waste my time doing a once a month cutting with a ztr.
  8. capnsac

what about using the meg-mo system or x-blade?
  9. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

Time is money, I wouldn't pass on it but I'd damn sure make sure I was making good money doing it.

Problem is some guy with a small bush hog will likely come along and kill you on price. We do those jobs with a Kubota tractor and 5ft bush hog.

BUT we have a $250 MINIMUM charge for it's use. So it'd be a $250 job with no trimming. I wouldn't go near it with ZTRs at that price though. Stuff is likely going to be a foot tall or worse and green... sure the ZTRs will cut it in two passes but it's not going to be good for them and I'd be careful of your time estimate as the second cut is going to take much longer than the first due to all the heavy discharged grass laying on top of the next cut.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

260, 270, 300, somewhere in that range.
    But they ain't going for that or they wouldn't have asked for once a month.

That or set the blades way high, but it still won't work so good and Z's really aren't made for mowing hay fields...
    Them blades find the right obstacle and it can cost an easy $100+ in parts alone, not to mention down time.
    A Ztr is a finish mower, there is a reason they're called that.

So I reckon a flail mower is the only way then.
    These fall under the category of rough cutters, or bush hogs, and there's also a reason for this.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009