5 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Neil M, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Neil M

Neil M LawnSite Member

Going to bid on a church at about 5 acres. Was wondering how long you guys might think that it would take to cut with a 52" ferris 25horse. I'm looking at about $250. to $300. per cut. Would like some feedback, thanx

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

you know what your time is worth...im sure you can look at the prop. and figure how long it will take YOU.

Asking ppl. on here is not gonna give you an accurate price, B/c there are too many variable w/o seeing the prop. in person. YOU are your BEST BET.

3. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

That sounds right to me.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

my grass-cutting guide says 230 but 250 is close enough, but I don't see it happening, not with a non-prof org... I hope I am wrong.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You are so correct. If I told a church I was going to charge them $250-$300 for 5 acres in this area they would just laugh.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Only church that can afford 250-300 would be the Catholics...still I don't see that happening. 200 if you're lucky.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

man this is just one them deals thou...

I mean, how bad do you need it?
    I wouldn't do it, but by next year I just might lol

If you need the work you might can do it for 165 but I did not tell you that.
    Because once you go down that road, it's hard to get back on the right track, that is not to say I haven't been there.

With a 48", straight out top speed non-stop cutting it would take almost 4 hours but if they let you cut it before it gets too tall you might can get it in 3.5, then weed-eating you gotta do what you gotta do in 30 minutes so you can squeeze out of there at 40 dollars / hour.

The only problem I have with lowballing is it sets certain things in motion. Specifically, once you have proven to them that you're one of those guys, it's not at all unusual they want more and more, so it wouldn't surprise me if, once you quote them the price, they say 'oh but can you only come out every so often?' And it never ends because you also have a hundred or two constituents out of whom some will ask you to do work for more of the same, but it's the slow ticket out of the hole and it does work.

Maybe they're right, maybe there isn't enough money in grass cutting, I don't know... Only time will tell, that's for sure.

'nuff said.