5 day cut cycle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TM Lawn, Oct 11, 2007.

1. TM Lawn

TM Lawn LawnSite Member

I live in the northeast and may switch to a 5 day cut cycle as opposed to the norm of seven days. We cut 6 days a week, so when the 5 th day falls on Sunday - Monday will start the cycle over. April, may, June, September, and maybe October (leaf season) will be the 5 day cycle months all others will be seven. Man power and equipment are not a problem, and scheduling is what it is! Anyone else doing this?

2. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Why?

Are you charging per cut?

3. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

yeah man, do whatever works for you and your customers. i don't have a set schedule for mine. i do them when they need a cutting based on the weather and everything.

4. TM Lawn

TM Lawn LawnSite Member

Yearly price based on total visits made, size, shape, and what they want in program etc... Thinking is property's will always look manicured and frequent visits will allow for better control and quality.

5. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

We have a few that should be on a 5 day schedule (during peak growth, at least). We charge by the cut, so it would increase profits to do so. But, during peak growth times we were scrambling to keep up with what work we had. We were afraid to convince them that they needed 5 day cuts, then not come through for them.

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck selling that one to most customers. Anymore these days some people don't even want it cut after 7.

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

No kidding! I had so many people wanting their bermuda grass cut every two weeks--you never wait that long for bermuda. Weekly is preferred, but I have many customers on a 10-day rotation. Lucky for me, they all have me doing their chemicals too, and plant growth regulator has become the norm for me on lawns cut less often than weekly.

8. screensnot

screensnot LawnSite Member
    from MI

The potential 5-day customers I was thinking of water like mad, fert 1-2 times a month, and spend many dollars on landscaping.

They want the best looking lawn on the block, and are happy to pay for it.

9. DixieFerris

DixieFerris LawnSite Senior Member

We are mowing most of our residential areas on 5-6 day rotations and the people love it. When I was at 7-8 days between cuts, they couldn't get us back there soon enough. We price per cut, and so far October may get them 5-6 times which is nice not to mention we double the price if the leaves become a little heavy