$5 Edging Job!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I was out mowing a customer 2 weeks back and the neighbor comes over and asks me to edge theirs, too. I explain I'll do it the next week b/c I'm too far behind at the moment.

So I do it the next week. Only took 5 minutes, not big.

Today I'm out cutting and she comes over and hands me $5 and gushes thanking me for doing it. I was totally speechless and couldn't respond!

$5? You gotta be kiddin' me! We never discussed price, and I was rendered mute by the sheer audacity of her to presume that $5 would be plenty!

So I'm sending her an invoice for the other $ she owes me with a note explaining that $5 is less than it cost me to do it - and I'm not into charity work for rich folks...

Some people...

2. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

ALWAYS discuss $, Before the work is done. I know first hand!!!!!!!!!!

3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing happened to me... while mowing in a subdivision 2 poeple came and asked me to edge their drive way....thats it...no blow off or nothing..just edge and go...it tooke me 5 min. total and were right across the street from where I was working...charged them $10 each.....$20 for 5 min of work... sounds good to me.

4. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

5$ for 5 minutes of work. How much more are you planning on charging?

5. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Instead of making a enemy over five dollars why not let the matter settle and take it as a lesson learned? She could potentially become a client for more work. Just next time explain to her the cost up front. If she balks at the cost at first because of what it cost her this time - just politely explain to her that it was your fault you did not settle on a price before hand and explain to her your rates. She may not go with you for more work but most importantly you have not made a enemy by making her lose face. Good rapport with your clients neighbors is a great way to gain extra work and not have them bad mouthing about you to your client or the other neighbors who may also approach you for work.

6. BrIONwoshMunky

BrIONwoshMunky LawnSite Member

I agree. Surely the cost difference isn't going to be so noticeable that the OP is going to starve.

I say chalk it up to experience, and remember to settle on prices before your foot hits the property on the job. The lady may have even thought she was doing a good thing by paying someone who was doing a quick bit of a freebie, considering money wasn't discussed previously, 'it only took 5 minutes', and she felt compelled to pay you...

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

$15. It'd be less if she was doing it more than once...

You have a very different perspective than I do. She came and asked me to do it - without asking how much. That means "whatever it takes, I want that done!" It's not MY fault she asked for my service w/o asking price - it's hers.

And I won't burn any bridge. I'll explain that the $15 was a 1x price, but that if she wants to set something consistent up, that I can be far friendlier...

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

She has no idea how long it took me - they weren't home when I did it...

9. whoopassonthebluegrass

PLUS, if I let it slide now, no doubt she'll ask me to do it again (once it's all overgrown again) and EXPECT her price to stick...

10. johnnie5

johnnie5 LawnSite Member

when she asked you to do it you should have told her how much it was

the invoice should have been in her mailbox when you did the job

when she paid you $5 that was when you should have said sorry its $15

suck it up as an experience and learn from it for future , when she asks you to do it again explain the actual cost is $15 and would she like you to do it COD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.