1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

5 grand and looking to start my lawn Business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by boombaby3, Mar 22, 2012.

1. boombaby3

boombaby3 LawnSite Member

I have 5 grand to invest into to starting my lawn biz. I live in Indiana and I have always enjoyed cutting grass and working outside and now I am taking my first step in owning my business. During college I made money from cutting the Universities grass and working small jobs to earn extra income. I have read a few books, but I would also like to get others input on some ins and outs of the biz. The books I have read have given me great marketing ideas, and on how to get everything started, but I am struggling with on what equipment to buy. I have been looking on ebay and I found a pretty good package deal, but I want make sure its worth the $$$$. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-54-HUSQ...&otn=4&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=7183354378215071133. Let me know if you think this is a good idea or if anyone else has any other ideas. Thanks for taking time for reading my response and I look forward to hearing from you!

2. BOSS LAWN 2343

BOSS LAWN 2343 LawnSite Senior Member

Look for good used equipment on your local craigslist.org, if I would of been smart thats where I would of started.

3. boombaby3

You thinking going used would be a better idea to start off with and then work my way up.

4. BOSS LAWN 2343

To start off absolutely IMO. Stay away from used trimmers/blowers though, otherwise walkbehind mowers, zturns, zturn walkbehinds are ok.

What equipment do you own so far?

5. boombaby3

I have a newer push mower rakes, shovels and older riding mower, but its on its last leg.

6. BOSS LAWN 2343

So you have the basics, are you comfortable repairing your old rider or getting a better one?

If your going to start mowing yards get a rider with a 46 inch deck, good to start. Will fit through most gates unless they are under that. Depending on the services you will want to offer, you should look into a rider with a double or triple bagger system for Spring/Fall clean ups. In addition to bagging customers grass in the summer.

If you get the bigger yards with few obstacles, you can look into a walkbehind zturn mower between 34-42inch decks cuts down on time.

You will want a trailer also, craigslist has hundreds of them for under 1500.

7. Mahoney3223

Mahoney3223 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

If your looking to be a hobby mower 5 grand might do. If you are looking to be serious, your going to need at least 40k for any kind of decent set up. You need a reliable decent looking 3/4 ton truck a commercial grade mower, trimmer, blower, trailer, etc. Buy good equipment not homeowner grade junk. Good luck but IMHO I'd try and get some financing or an investor, 5k guys are a dime a dozen round here.

8. boombaby3

awesome thanks for the help guys

9. pineymountain

pineymountain LawnSite Member

Im already thinking a large truck would be good. I have a small pick-up, but would love a large/dumping bed.

10. boombaby3

how would a long bed pick up work?