5 HP Briggs Points

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by denco5, May 7, 2006.

1. denco5

denco5 LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me how to install points on a 5 hp briggs. I need help!

2. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

first, read the first thread in this forum. second, do you own, or can you get, the starter clutch tool and flywheel puller for briggs engines? a novice shouldnt attempt to do this job without those. after the flywheel is out of the way, changing points is easy. take the old stuff out, put new stuff in. set gap at .020. now, are you SURE you have points? without the info the first thread says you need, or good friend Restrorob wont know if your engine even has points. they havent been used in 20 years. so get the info, then report back.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. denco5

denco5 LawnSite Member

I am sorry I cannot locate any numbers except 130232 which is on the pull starter housing.

I am sure it has points becaouse I have them out. I am just unsure on how to set the gap.

This is on an old gas powered reel mower made by McDonough-Starlite Inc. out of California. It appears to be very old. I want to get it running and maybe sell it.

5. Restrorob

I havn't put a set of points and condenser in a Briggs in over 12yrs. , Rotate the piston to top dead center compression stroke that should have the points at the widest opening. Then adjust the gap by sliding the condenser closer or further away from the points contact and if my memory serves me right they gap at 0.20" .

6. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

the tunp up sets used to come iwth a little plastic thingy that would compress the spring on the condenser to get the wire back in there.

7. hondalowlow

hondalowlow LawnSite Member

i was told to set briggs point gaps at .10 thousands.

8. Restrorob

Who ever told you that is dead wrong.....ALL MODELS set at .020"