5 or 6 foot wide trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1999frontier, Sep 18, 2006.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

This coming up spring I am hopefully going to buy a Deere 727A and its got a 54" deck. I've got a 4x8 tilt right now, but I need to buy another trailer. If I got the 5 foot wide trailer I would have to raise the discharge chute up everytime I load and unload. I will have 6" left so 3" on each side of deck. Do you think that is enough room to fit or should I just go with the 6 foot wide? Also, I have a Nissan Frontier and going from a 4 foot wide to a 6 foot wide trailer is going to be different driving. Is it much difference driving with a trailer sticking outside of the truck?

2. npilcher

npilcher LawnSite Member

go with the 6' trailer. Not much price difference b/w the two. You wont notice any real improvements on towing. Little more weight to pull but you wont have as much trailer sway.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

At least 6', if not 7'.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

The wider the better, well to a point. Go with a 6 foot or even a 6 1/2 foot

5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i just bought a 6X14 and im sorry i did! im looking to get a 7X16. my 6X14 is for sale if your interested!!

6. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have 727 54" and I am in a 6X14 enclosed. I do have to raise the chute when loading and unloading because the door on the back is only 5' wide, but it works out fine for me. You will want the extra room around the mower to get to trimmers and other items. Definetly go at least 6' wide. If going enclosed an plan on upgrading to a 60" mower in the future (whenever) you may want to go ahead and condisider a 7', 7 1/2, or even 8' wide trailer. You almost cannot have to much trailer (to a point). I cannot grow too much more in mine. I have the 727 and an Exmark 36" Walkbehind in mine along with a generator and air compressor.

7. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would go 6x10 or 6x12...is there anything else on the trailer like walk behind or trim mower??

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Go as long and wide as you can possibly go! I don't think your trailer can ever be too large as you will use the space somehow sooner or later! JMO

9. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The only other mower I would have to put up there would be a 21" mower until I can get a used walkbehind. Right now I have to put the 21" in the back of the truck.

10. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I just saw a used 6X12 open for sale near me for $800. Looks to be in pretty good shape.