5 rakes in 1 week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Dec 2, 2007.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I broke 5 rakes myself in the past week...not even on wet heavy leaves. Raking normal dry leaves onto a tarp and went through 5 rakes anyone have any idea what type of rake I should by to avoid this? Thanks
  2. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

We buy the 30 inch Polly rakes with wooden handles that screw in. I have had the same problem. But I then found the metal replacement handles and use the same 30 inch Polly rake. Problem solved. PR
  3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do the same thing I would buy a dozen rakes at a time because the cheap wooden handle breaks all the time. But now i found a solution one day i went to home depo when walking around it came to me I bought one of those closet poles used to hang your close on cut it to length shaved one end to fit the rake & now i have a heavy duty rake that i have had for almost 2 years:weightlifter:
  5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

I rarely use a rake. I use my backpack. I get the cheap rakes, but they will last me all season, because they stay in my truck most of the time.
  6. grapeford

grapeford LawnSite Member

I've been using the same rakes bought at home depot or lowes. Only use them when raking into the truck loader, but otherwise mainly use bpacks.
    This year I'm braking rakes the same day i've bought them. I've never seen anything like it. It's not the handles, it's the plastic rake part. Probably made in China.Noy much made in the U.S. anymore.
  7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I buy the rakes at sears. When they break, I go get a new one for free. I am on my 4th one in 2 years. I don't use them much.
  8. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a blower instead of a rake.

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I use the steel rakes with wooden handles and have had two for three years and they still work great. Both have been run over by trucks and been through hell and back but they work great. And I use them alot because during the mowing season I rake all customers flowerbeds every week.
  10. cutemhigh

cutemhigh LawnSite Member
    from 44060

Those kodiak style rakes can fall apart just like any rake. I have had the best success with that style though. A lot of it DOES fall on the operator. Ive seen most breakage occur with the heavy wet leaves. Just remember its a rake, not a shovel.