5 Step Fertilizing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Husky, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I am offering a five step fertilizing program for my customers this year. I am trying to get a price worked out on what I should be making on each one. The applications will be all lesco products and all granular. What do you guys get on the average yard of about 8,500 sqft? what type of formula seems to work best with your establishment.. Thanks guys!!!

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Go talk to your Lesco dealer. They will write out a program based on your input and then will spell out the costs from there. General rule, for small residential in my market...$3.5 per K + $20 stop fee.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My local dealer helped tremendously.

MATT

4. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Here are two plans that I have worked up with two separate dealers in my area.

Lesco

#1 24-5-11
    #2 19-0-10 w/pre-m
    #3 18-0-18
    #4 32-3-8
    #5 32-3-8

Helena

#1 19-3-6 w/Dimension
    #2 19-3-6 w/Dimension
    #3 21-3-11
    #4 32-3-8
    #5 32-3-8

I'm new to apps too -- so any feedback on this would be appreciated. To me - they seem to have too much Spring N and not enough P and K. Is this similar to what others are using?

-----------
    Jeff Hamons
    Hamons Custom Landscaping
    Overland Park, KS

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Jeff,
    Your program looks o.k., but there are certainly a few changes to be made. First, depending on the timing of your aps. 4 and 5, I believe you should back off on the N. The later one especially, unless this is done JUST before it goes into dormancy. If you have a few weeks before it goes into dormancy after this last ap., then this is not that good. YOu generally do not want that flush of growth as it goes in to the dormancy. If, however, this is put on JUST before dormancy, then the plant will take in this N, and store it as carbohydrate, then be able to release it early as it comes out of dormancy. That's why I mentioned ap. 4. If this is done early enough, then this is fine. However, if this is done later, (making you round 5 even later) then this much N, again, at this time, is not good. If this is done in early fall however, you're in good shape. Another thing; regardles of, you DEFINITELY need to bump up the K levels on both of these aps.. This is a crucial time, since it is one of only two times during the year that the plant is actually establishing root growth and density. Use it! This is not as much at this time of the season as it is in the Spring, but it IS a time just the same. The program you are currently using could certainly benefit from these changes, but this current program is STILL better than say, a trubrown program. I hope this helps, and good luck to you.

6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am not sure of your location but here in s. ohio I would back off on the spring n. I use a 5% on lawn I mow and would use a 0% but it cost more. Low spring N and High fall N has worked for me. We have noticed a hugh increase in winter color this way as well. The rain will keep most lawns green and growing in the early spring so why add to the headache. We start low and increase N on each application to a high N in fall.
    Just my 2cents

7. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I am debating on offering a 5 step, and I am REALLY thinking about just staying to the four step. right now this is what I throw..

Dimension .15% 18-0-10
    21-0-12 Momentum Weed and Feed 40% PPSCU
    24-5-1 50% PPSCU 5% FE
    34-3-11 20% PPSCU (late november to promote nice green up in spring)

this works really well, .. I think the advantage to a four step is that yea the nitrogen may be a slight higher, but its given through slow release as you can see, and is drug out over a longer time then shoving that 5th app in and adding to the N.

Later guys