5 step program or 7

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by Finestlandscape, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Finestlandscape

Finestlandscape LawnSite Member

im going to be offering a fertilizing program this year to my customers. which would you suggest going with a 5 step program or 7

2. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

I do 7 but i've heard as many as 9 if you were to include lime and minors.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Go for 7 steps--let them talk you down to 5 aps if they want to give up the grub control or crabgrass booster treatment ap.
    Easier to start at 7 than to start at 5 and to up to 7.

Possibly you could allow them to substitute nutsedge control instead of summer fert, if needed. Or substitute insect control. Or fungicide. Or lime. Or aeration. Or seed. Or mole control. Or perimeter pest spray around house. Or shrub insects which would kill a few mosquitos. Or a spray to grass that would kill fleas. Or substitute a special organic fert that would include iron and micros.

4. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We offer our customers a 5, 6 and 7 step plan on the same proposal and let them choose. It has worked great for us. We make sure the 6 and 7 step plans offer important applications and then explain on the proposal the importance of them. The 6 step adds the winterizer ap, the 7 step adds grub control.

Last year 48% of customer took the 5 step, 21% took the 6 step, and 31% took the 7 step. We feel it gives the customer a higher sense of control over their lawn care compaired to the 'heres what you get' approach.

5. IslaMan

IslaMan LawnSite Member

OMG...how long is your season?we are lucky to get 5 apps in. We run from May till October.:canadaflag:

6. doug1980

doug1980 LawnSite Senior Member

8 here but visit 9 months of the year.

7. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Man thats a lot of steps, We only run 5 apps. Includes Pre-E, Roughly 3lbs actual N throughout the year with K and broadleaf weed control, spot sprayed mostly or blanketed if needed or with one of our big tankers.

I'm all for making money but we won't apply insecticide/fungacide/gypsum/lime etc unless it NEEDS it. Its bad enough we have to blanket spray some properties with our tankers.

We do a good share of aerations and over seeds, split-seeds, lime, insecticide etc.. Only do the applications when needed though.