5 x 8 trailer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Skeelow, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Skeelow

Skeelow LawnSite Member

Starting part time next spring and will only stay part time. 10 accounts max. This is not my main job. Getting a Quick 36 soon and was wondering if a 5 x 8 trailer will hold a Quick 36, 21 inch mower, Echo backpack blower, and Echo trimmer, 2 gas cans and rake and shovel. Then again I could put everything except the mowers on the truck. Just wondering, thanks for your input.
  2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

A 5x8 will definitely hold the equipment you have listed with no problem. But, if you have any thoughts at all on expanding in the future and taking on more accounts, I might opt for a size or two bigger. Just something to think about. You can never have a trailer too big, but one can become too small, and in a hurry.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with 29..I have much the same equipment as you do and a 5x8 and I am right at the limit....A Quick 36 is nice and compact ,but I would have to lose the 22 to carry anything else like a 48 wb or even a ZTR..not sure I could make it fit.
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the other 2 guys on this, Go for as big of a trailer as you can afford espically if you plan on expanding.
  5. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

My 5x8 trailer is great. No complaints except for I wish I got a Dump version instead. I have been hauling a lot of firewood and mulch.
  6. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Same situation! Go a little bigger!
  7. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

I found some 6x12 trailers for only 300 more than the 5x8 I started looking at. That is almost twice the trailer for 50% more. I have a ztr a push mower, and the rest of the tools, and a lot of room to haul leaves and expand.
  8. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

There was a thread on a guy with a ford ranger putting everything you mentioned on the bed his ranger. very cool looking setup. I liked his set up so much that I plan on copying it when I start up this coming spring.
  9. VMcNeill

VMcNeill LawnSite Member

10. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

go with a 6x12 or 5x10 enclosed. a open is a mistake i had a open 5x8 and it was a nice trailer but i would rather have a enclosed and just keep my equiptment in it instead of take it all out. and less work.