5-year commercial warranty

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkilov, May 14, 2008.

1. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

When I bought my maruyama hedge trimmer it came with a 2-year commercial extra warranty. Now maruyama is offering an iron 5-year warranty which sounds attractive.

http://www.maruyama-us.com/uploadedFiles/Maruyama_US/Support/Service_Bulletins/TSB 1024.pdf
    I've read their 4 page statement and made a short summary:

Lifetime warranty:
    - ignition modules
    - inner drive shaft

5-year warranty:
    - all other parts for manufacturing, material and workmanship defects only

For subsequent purchase:
    - 1 year on catalytic muffler
    - 2 years on carb, fuel tank, ignition, spark plug

Exclusions :
    - starter rope, hoses, filters, vibration isolators, spark plugs, throttle cable, clutch shoes
    - wear parts

Conditions :
    - Maruyama Premium 2-Cycle Oil First 80 hrs. After that JASO FC oil with 89+ octane gas
    - proper maintenance
    - no abuse
    - no tampering
    - no natural disasters

Consequential Damage: - zilch

So what do you think, worth looking at? Anyone ever had to do a claim at maruyama, any difficulties ?

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

don't they contradict

3. CletusT

CletusT LawnSite Member

How much does that warranty cost? Looks like alot of exclusions... especially with no definition of "wear parts"....

4. jkilov

from MS

The first thing that came to mind and did the post hoping to get clarification about that.

Subsequent purchase must mean like if you buy anything second-hand you loose like over 1/2 of warranty. For the spark plugs I don't really care.

I don't think it costs anything extra. Yes there are a lot of exclusions and I doubt they will replace an engine when it wears out after four or five seasons. Other brands have like 1 or 2 years comm. warranty but their statements are'nt 4 pages long.

5. OutdoorPowerMan

OutdoorPowerMan LawnSite Member

"Lifetime warranty:
    - ignition modules
    - inner drive shaft

5-year warranty:
    - all other parts for manufacturing, material and workmanship defects only

For subsequent purchase:
    - 1 year on catalytic muffler
    - 2 years on carb, fuel tank, ignition, spark plug

Exclusions :
    - starter rope, hoses, filters, vibration isolators, spark plugs, throttle cable, clutch shoes
    - wear parts"

So have you ever bought a car, or any other device powered by an engine that has moving parts??? There are parts like brake shoes and so forth that have a much more limited warranty. How is this a bad thing? This warranty still appears to have substanitally more coverage than all the other warranties I see.

6. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Another question just as important. How reliable are Maruyamas. Anyone have comments? This is just as important as the length of the warrante. I have a dealer that carry them.

7. OutdoorPowerMan

OutdoorPowerMan LawnSite Member

I have a few pieces, BL8100 blower, BC3021 trimmer, and HT2300 Hedge trimmer and all are very solid performers. I have had no trouble with mine. The hedge trimmer is bar none the best unit i have ever used...cuts like a blow torch through butter.

One thing to note is that the units take a little longer to break in than usual...maybe a few hours run time or so? After that, good to go.

8. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

That was what I have been hearing. I was told Maruyama trimmer engines have chrome IMPLEGNATED lining, not plated. It last longer, it takes longer to breakin.

Very few people use it but never heard anything about reliability issue. Maybe it is the up and coming brand.

Have you compare the noise level of the BL8100 to Echo and Redmax? From the spec, it is suppose to be quieter than Echo PB755 and Redmax EB7001 where power should be in the ball park. They all have same size engine. I'll be shopping for a BP in a few months after getting the hedge clipper. My main candidates are PB620, PB755 and Maruyama BL8100 if I learn more about it.
    Please let me know your observation.

Of course none are as good as BR600!!!!!!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

And does this include the labor cost to install all these free parts?

10. jkilov

from MS

The hedge trimmer and sprayer I have are my best yet. I think it's in these segments that their products really excel. Don't know about other stuff.

As for the blower, maruyama uses kawasaki engines on their bigger units.
    BTW, what's the difference between plated/impregnated ?

It was parts, labor and diagnostics inclusive for the 2-year warranty. Should be the same for the 5-year.