5 year plan

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, Jun 1, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

They say when you come to a fork in the road to take the path less traveled. Looking 5 years into the future where do you see yourself in your business? I know that nobody can read the future, but what are some of your business goals? I know nobody wants to be like a stagnate pound and so we are all in motion to improve our abilities to continue the education process in this industry.

Maybe someone out here would like to become very wealthy in the business, or maybe you want to stay where you're at. I would like to continue to learn all the different facets of this business and do more than just cut grass. I need to stay in motion and move forward. I realize that we were all taught wrong in school. I was taught that making mistakes is bad. Well since being in this business I have learned a lot from my mistakes. We might have been taught to get a good education and then get a good job, really is there such a thing as a good job? What working for a boss that drives a nice car and lives in a big nice house?

Does anyone feel like they are in a rut? (Stagnating), and if so why? Many of you have many years of expertise in this field and offer a great deal of info to someone like me who is working it day after day, mistake after mistake.

How many have written goals that lay out a timetable of where you will be in 5 years? I was once told that if you can see it you can achieve it. Maybe this may sound crazy to some, but very few people have a clue where they want to be in 5 years. If you keep doing what you have done in the past then you will know what is ahead of you in the future.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont have anything written down, but have it in my head where i want to be. For example, in 2 years i dont want to be phisically mowing anymore, just running the business, and I think thats very attainable as of right now.

3. i know that in 5 years i wanna be out of school with my degree. after that i have no clue. i do know that i dont want to be busting my butt every day of the week for the rest of my life. that i do know. so if i can build my business up large enough where i only have to do physical work every once in a while, or where i go and supervise a golf course and just check up on everything and do other b.s that doesnt require a lot of muscle i would be happy. i just dont want to be scraping by. i know that i want to be successful, and making money off of my mind, not off my back.

4. George777

from Alabama

lawnboy82, you brought up an awesome point. How can we work smarter instead of harder? If hard work was the key to sucess then every ditch digger and brick layer would be millionares.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

5 years from now, i will have 3 crews to cut, i will be a name that every person in my area knows of, i will have every cert. and lic. that i can get to make my company better than the rest, i will improve the quality work that i already do. and i will start to build a dynasty in my area.

everything i have every said and was serious about, i have done it. and i will do these things.

6. George777

from Alabama

5 years from now, i will have 3 crews to cut, i will be a name that every person in my area knows of, i will have every cert. and lic. that i can get to make my company better than the rest, i will improve the quality work that i already do. and i will start to build a dynasty in my area.

Joshua, it sounds like you know what you want. I can tell by the determination that you will accomplish your goals. Many will hope and wish they will accomplish things, but few will believe they can. You keep up that bulldog attitude. Did you know the noise of a bulldog is slanted back so that when he bites he won't let go?

7. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer LawnSite Member

George777 it sounds like you have been reading your Rich Dad, Poor Dad? Great books with good insight and motivation. I also like Jim Rohn for these things. Best of luck.

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I stagnated for the past three years until this year. I was stuck at 100-120k in sales and didn't really want to grow my headaches. I joined up with two partners that had lawn business' a little smaller than mine, and things have been rough, but taking off indeed. I think we'll do over 600k this year, and prob hit the million mark in 3. In 5 we are shooting for the 1.5 mill mark. the growth will probably continue to kill our paycheck, as fast growth maxes out credit, cash flow, comfort levels, equipment usage, and employee turnover. It also makes winter an even scarier scenario. how about 10000+ per month in overhead on payments and insurance? The payoff is hopefully something that is financially successful and fun to run. Dave g

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

george, thanks for replying to my post, and for the good words of incouragment. my goals for this year are 3/4 filled, and i set them at unreal levels, so i'm on great pace right now, just hope my body can take everything i try to do.

10. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Currently I am in my 5th season and maintain 55 residential and 6 commercial properties. In 3 years I want to finish up my last season of lawn care with 110 residential and about 30 commercial. I want to have another crew and have picked up 3 more Lazers, two for the new crew and a new one for mine. I also want a new truck for myself and hand my current to the next crew. After that year I am looking to sell out. I know after all this work, I am giving it all up, but it will deffinatly be time for me to move on to bigger and better things.(I hope:)) At that time I will be done with my Chemical Engineering graduate work and have my Graduate Degree. I see no place for me in lawn care after that. Its been a great experience and unbelievable earnings, but it will be time to go. I've thought of keeping it all going and just not doing the physical work, but I don't want to have all the hassels of a side business. I want to start a family then, and be working in the field that I enjoy the most. Although lawn care is a close second, Chemical Engineering and working in the laboratory is the place for me. Who knows, perhaps someday you will hear of a new "Miracle Fertilizer", stop in to pick some up and "Esbjornsson" will be plastered all over the package. You can think of me:) Good luck to all and keep your goals set high!