5-year warranty

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Aug 11, 2005.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

so there is a new sub being built with about 100 homes... all over 700k...

in an ongoing effort to beat off the "lowballers" and to get the first few systems in there to set up the yard signs.... I am looking at really trying to set myself apart... I already use the I-20s but think I will trying selling the strainless steel by claiming "only the cheap irrigation companies still use cheap plastic heads"...

anyway.. I would like to offer a 5 year warranty on most parts (rotors, sprays, valves, and controller (and rain sensor?))

point being... I know I can do it on rotors and sprays.. but are there any valves or controllers that offer 5 years? I cant find it anywhere... only Rainbird and Hunter though..

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

My opinion, but if you put 5 years in writting, its your funeral. As far as 5 year warranty, not the kwik dials that I like to use, but the upper end irritrol controllers (raindail, total control) are 5 years and unconditional w/ lightning protection if you ground them per installation instructions. Remember, you get 5 years from the DATE CODE, not the date you installed. I get a lot of free I-20's because I read date codes and turn in the defectives. Most of the products we see in the early part of the season are already 6 months old. This time of year, the back production is lower and product is warehoused less. As northern climates stop using product, warehousing increases until levels are back up for next spring. I haven't seen a WM valve or solenoid that wasn't 6 months old in a VERY long time. I use WM (as an example) because they too are a 5 year product. I offer two years if it will close a sale. If there was a good incentive, I would consider 3 years. Again, just my opinion, but if you offer 5, your going to eat some product in year 5.

3. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Your warranty does not have to cover labor and service call after year one. So you can also look at a 5 year warranty like this. Job Security: If they don't use you to winterize their system or if some other company services the system their warranty is void. After year one warranty covers defective products only, so the owner is still responsible for labor and service call fee. So if you go to replace a $9 rotor then you eat the rotor and still charge charge the 60 -75 dollars for labor and service call fee you will never lose money unless something major goes wrong and you can't win them all.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

That sounds great unless you get that rare customer you can't wait for the warranty to void on.........I called one last week and told here if I came back out, it was billable. Haven't heard back from here :) One year labor and 5 year parts sounds good, but it also sounds like your asking for a debate everytime that customer calls for 5 years. "why isn't the labor covered?"

5. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

If they sign a contract that states that then there is no problem. If you have a bad apple for a customer that does not want to pay something that is not covered (labor or damaged parts) then that voids their warranty too and you are cut free from the warranty. My warranty only covers labor for year one and is void if we do not winterize or another company services the system it is also stated that warranty is void if there are any outstanding invoices. I am a fan of custom stationary for proposals and service invoices since we all learn as we go. I have clauses for rain delays, back ordered parts, if we hit anything less then 13" in the ground marked or unmarked, time and material for all service calls no exceptions, owners must mark all property lines so we don't have to go back and move heads 2 years down the line for free. Just stupid ****. With those guidelines I will bend for the nice customers but for the difficult ones it covers me. I am only giving my 2 cents.

6. BSME

from Midwest

Yea... we do the same as far as labor for one year...

this way I tell them it covers and loose wirenut, bad sprinkler adjustment, loose clamp.... on avg. I have to go back to the house once to change something... usually a ten minute call

You can always tell the customer that the part is under warranty for 5 years so they could always take it back to the John Deere themselves and fix it for free... or they can pay me to do it...

Either way... I shouldn't stand to lose as long as I'm puting Hunter and RB behind the parts and myself behind the labor

7. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Irritrol Total Control and maybe the Rain Dial Plus has a 5 year warranty.

8. BSME

from Midwest

ok...

so if Rainbird or Hunter doesn't have a 5year timer....

can anybody tell me what the warranty on the Pro-c or ESP module is?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

2 years on a Pro-C, and 5 years on the ICC

10. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Hunter PGV valves are 5 year; so is their wireless rain sensor. I still can't find in their literature or their website how long the warranty is on the Pro-C controller.

George