1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$50,000.00 For You!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Just sitting here reading some post and wondering what would you do if fifty thousand dollars was to come to you, buy the first of the year. From a grant, some rich man impressed with you determination to succeed, or you were mowing around your local bank and found a brown paper bag with the money in it and no one claimed it. How would you invest in your business? What would you buy? What additional service would you add?
  2. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

Housing boom...my 28 grand townhouse 12 years ago sold for 165 grand two years ago. I didn't buy much for the business...I let that pay for itself. But I bought 3 acres of land, customized my fatboy, bought a boat, a dirt bike, paid off my car and harley. The boat and dirtbike are just collecting dust. Believe me....you will buy the toys you could never get and then realize you never really wanted them in the first place. But, I'm sure the thread will get a lot of replies. But once you get 50 grand in your hands....you don't think about grass....just vacations and hitting the bars.

3. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Hitting the bars isn't what comes to my mind first but I agree totally with the toys statement, I got so much crap I don't need its not funny, sometimes I even fill guilty about it.....if that makes any sense what so ever:dizzy:
  4. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

That would finish off the college fund for my children. What could be a better investment then your children. Then i would look at some toys for us..:laugh:
  5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd get some advice on investments and put $40,000 into something for 10 years.

The other $10,000 would be used for some bills and some fun.
  6. cutemhigh

cutemhigh LawnSite Member
    from 44060

I'd open a pizza shop.
  7. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Pay off the bills and put the rest in savings for a very dry year like we had this year.
  8. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I was 33, I still play in a band around town, 2nd marriage and we don't have our kids on the same weekends.....so we still go out 1-2 times a week anyway and I go out w/ the fella's when ever (I have my son for a week then his mom has him a week...and my wife doesn't mind when I go watch games, shoot pool, etc. on the weeks I don't have him). So the bar thing is just natural for me. Never slow down, you never grow old. :rolleyes:

I feel guilty too...I'm going to sell the boat next summer if I don't start taking it out....I've had it two summers and never put it in the water. :hammerhead: The harley might be next....I've put maybe 500 miles on it in two summers.

PS...I already put away in my boys college fund...it's my fund if he doesn't take advantage of it. :clapping:

Attached Files:

9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

use it for a down payment for some property. Then my dad and i would build our dream house, with plenty of room for a shop for our landscape equipment+ atv's, and then a garage to put a frame lift so we can work on our cars. cant do any of this here in the burbs, wont even let you keep a 1 ton dump and trailer on your driveway, even if its hidden.
  10. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

by by debt