50:1 mix o.k. in Lawnboy mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jul 25, 2003.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Is a 50:1 mix alright for use in a Lawnboy commercial mower? 2 dealers I deal with have told me different stories. One says it is o.k. while the other says it is too thin a mixture and it will eventually damage the engine. He reccomended sticking with the 32:1 ratio suggested by Lawnboy. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Joe-
    I run my lawnboy off a 50:1 mix and it runs fine (kow). I used to fuss with having two sepparate mix containers one 50 for the weedos and blowers and another for the LB but switiched over a year or so ago.....

Shouldnt be a problem....but I would stick with the lawn boy 2 cycle mix or somthing of a comparable grade.

3. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running my lawnboy on 50 to 1 since new, its 3 years old now and used for about 2 hours a week. No problems yet.

4. parkmaster

parkmaster LawnSite Member

I bought a 6 gallon gas can and use 2 8oz cans lawnboy oil mix per can which makes it about 40/1 mix ratio. Been using this mix for about 8 yrs. No problems with mower or other equipment that uses 2cycle mix.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I used 50:1 for 10 years on my old Commercial Lawnboy (still running fine for my Dad).

And now run 80:1 AMSOIL on the new Commercial Lawnboy. Its all in the quality of the oil. The old LB oil at 32:1 was good for one thing.....Fogging mosquitos~!!!

Oh and it was also good at clogging mufflers and exhaust ports. Haven't cleaned my new muffler yet and its a 1998 model!!!

6. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

i use opti 2 oil in my lawnboy 50:1 ratio. dont have the smelly lawnboy oil smoke and burns much cleaner. no problems to speak of.

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

Right On!!!!

8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I use only Stihl oil in my Stihls, and only Lawnboy oil in my Lawnboy. It doesn't cost much more to do it right. I write Stihl and Lawnboy on the gascans.
    Crawdad

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

What TLS said but I can run it at 100:1 and have been since 1998. Starts on 1 pull or 1 spin of the starter every time and has lots of power.

The Lawnboy oil is a scam to have you buy high priced name brand oil because it goes with the mower.

I know Amsoil works WITHOUT smoke. It is synthetic. Petroleum based oil smokes, if it all isn't burned in combustion then it turns to sludge. That gums plugs and exhaust ports. That is what brings the homeowners in for service but thats another story.

No I am not an Amsoil dealer.

10. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

A little insight: The new LB engines were designed to run @ 50:1. It was going to cost LB several 1000 $$$ to have new gas caps made up to say 50:1. I run Stihl in ALL my 2 stroke equipment. That includes: LB, Toro Suziki, Stihl saw, Echo blower, Toro trimmer (maryama made)