1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

50:1 oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by christoff, Mar 24, 2005.

1. christoff

christoff LawnSite Member

I was in at Walmart yesterday just browsing and notioced that Walmart sells 50:1 Castrol oil. The price was half of what I pay for Echo 50:1. What do you guys think, should it be about the same quality, and should I buy it? or should I stay away from it?

2. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stay away from it IMO. I use Echo and Stihl 2 cycle oil, and would only buy the best quality oil for my equipment. I have never used any 2 cycle oil from Wal-Mart, and I never will.
  3. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

check out the stink it leaves. i have had to use off 2 cycles in a pinch and it is like running an out board all day long except you can't out run the stench!!
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

So, based on exactly what you just said IF Wal-Mart sold Stihl or Echo 2 Cycle oil you WOULD NOT buy it. That's what you said basically.

But I don't think you meant what you said as it came out. At least I would hope not. I'm not saying buy it or even that I would BUT to compare the quality of the oil just because it is at Wal-Mart is not fair. Castrol makes some of the very BEST engine oil on the market! I use Castrol in every vehicle I have owned for the past 20 years and since Castrol Synthetic hit the market I have used nothing else and won't, so don't cheap a quality product just because it is on the shelf at Wally World!
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I would think a bigger name like "Castrol" would at least be comparable to stilh or echo. Does not really matter where it is sold.
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

If Wal-Mart sold Echo oil, I would not buy it. Wal-Mart is Wal-Mart, and I don't shop there. I'm not disagreeing with you tho. *walks over to K-Mart instead*
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no clue how much effort puts into its 2-cycle oils, but to argue the notion from the opposite end, let's ask ourselves how many manufacturer's are represented in our inventories of 2-cycle equipment.

I happen to have a John Deere string trimmer, an Echo stick edger and backpack blower, and a Redmax bp blower. They all say to use their oil and their oil only. This assumes I am going to keep a separate gas can for each. Sure thing. Uh huh.

I'm not saying I do, I'm not saying I don't. Infer what you will, but I suppose we're all smart enough to know that the vast majority of us do not keep a separate gas can for each manufacturer. So far, so good?

So, the link below will take you to a pdf published by Castrol. I'm not smart enough to know what those numbers mean, but if they look a lot like the numbers other manufacturers publish...must be okay? This assumes you can even find similar numbers from the equipment manufacturers. As they say in Italy, bona fortuna.

By the way, you'll notice that a google of "Echo 2-cycle oil" will yield no hits at Echo-USA.com on the first page of returns. If Echo doesn't publish the numbers for their oil, should we take it (or anyone else's oil) more seriously than Castrol's? You decide for yourself.

8. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I've been using nothing but the Wal-Mart brand of 2-cycle oil for two years. No problems with it.

Motor oil's Motor oil.

Besides, when I bought all my equipment new, I always got a six pack of Stihl oil for free. I noticed the color wasn't always the same. Sometimes it was red, sometimes it was blue. The manufacturers are buying their oil from oil companies and putting their name on it. Same for the Wal-Mart brand.

DFW Area Landscaper
  9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

O.K., for any of you out there that give a damn, If you use Amsoil at 80:1 in all your 2-cycle equipment you will not have to ask these types questions. You will come to understand that synthetics are the future of 2-cycle mix.

BTW, I will shop a wally world in a heart beat if they have something I want. I cant imagine an LCO that is too good to patronize them or anyone else for that matter.
  10. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll drink to that.