$50 first mow.....too much?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kevinlane, Jun 26, 2007.

1. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so I have some accounts now finally. But the last couple of estimates I have done were big time over-grown properties. Less than 1/4 of an acre, but knee high grass. So out of the last 3 estimates, only one ended up being a yearly maintenance. The others didn't even call back. Am I over-charging? It seems reasonable to me. Takes longer, more gas....etc. What do you guys think?:gunsfirin

2. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i usualy dont touch a lawn for under 50 bucks, i have one thats 40 but he's a good friend of mine.

3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe doing the customer a favor would be a good way of "securing them" for a yearly deal; i.e not charging an arm and a leg for taller than normal grass, etc. Small favors go a long way.

4. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i charge the first time their base amount...then i tack on 10-15 for overgrowth

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Good possibility I have been contacted by some of those people. One thing to keep in mind. If they let the grass get sooo damn long that the city complains, they probably arent going to spend the money on it on a regular basis. I try to weed these calls out when them come in because they are a waste of time. Ever get the calls that ask hom much you charge? Without seeing it???? How can you do that? I tell them my rates start at $150, and they are gone.

6. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

I just tell them it's an extra $10-20 and thats for the cost of disposal of the clippings, obviously thats not really what I pay, but it seems to somehow make sence to them. But if their good cust. that are sereious about their lawns why wait 'til it's thigh high? cause their cheap and hoping to get 3 weeks of mowings for the price of 1.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Knee high grass is an unbeleivable PITA! Charge at least twice what you normally would.

8. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I first quoted $60 but I'm running a $10 off coupon deal.... so its actually double what I normally charge....very reasonable I think. I think I am getting those "walmart landscaping" customers:nono: ...lol. But atleast I have an idea about what's going on. Thanks for all the input bruthas.
    :clapping:

9. Lohse's Lawn Service

Lohse's Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from US

MJS, you make a good point. However, I am usually very cautious when someone calls me out of the blue (or green) to mow their overgrown yard. If you're not careful, you might be doing a "favor" for them by charging a normal price, but then they never call you back again. You risk putting unnecessary wear and tear on your equipment, all for a one time deal. There are exceptions, friends, family etc. Just keep a lookout, that's all I'm saying. Hate to see anyone get taken advantage of.

If it's a normal customer, it should never get too tall (as another person pointed out on this thread), unless uncontrollable circumstances, because that is something that should be understood before you ever touch their lawn.

If the yard is overgrown, then yes, I do charge an extra fee, sometimes $10, sometimes $20+. There are plenty of other yards out there that aren't overgrown, and I would rather take those on rather than "jungles."

Today I mowed a yard for a friend, the actual grass in the back yard was thick and probably 2 feet tall, but the nasty weeds were shoulder-high. Luckily, I was able to use my ExMark in the back, but I still had to run over the yard 6-7 times to get it short and get the clumps out. But I am going to have a talk with him and let me know I'm coming no more than every 10 days.

All I'm saying is, you have a business to run, and thicker, taller grass always takes longer, and time is money! Good luck to all those who mow shoulder-high grass.

10. WHIPPLE5.7

WHIPPLE5.7 LawnSite Senior Member

This just happened to me. I did a 1/3 acre that was knee high for $50 thinking I could get it as atleast a every other week customer but the lady complained about how $50 was so high.