50 gal water tank/hose problem

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by oOTurfmanoO, Jul 8, 2007.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

I just got a 50 gal SII Industries poly water tank from Northern Tool. I was told a standard 3/4" garden hose would fit into the female end of the tank. YEP!!!

After fighting with it for a few minutes, I figured I could not thread the female plastic to the "brass" male hose. So I took a trip to Lowes for an adapter of some sort.

Got a 3/4" plastic male adapter w/ a flare on the opposite side. Figured I could cut my hose and push it onto the the flare with a hose clamp.

Well, the damn thing still does not thread into the female end of the tank.

Does any1 have any experience with this type of situation?

Are there any options?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 50 gallon Snyder Industries Square tank that I bought at Northern many years ago. Most Ploy tanks if not all have Thu hull fitting to connect your plumbing to. These Fitting are generally Standard American Pipe threads and any standard American pipe thread should fit them. 3/4 in your case. You must then adapted to a Hose Bib thread if you want to use garden hose.

To my knowledge there are two Pipe threads plus a Hose bib thread. They will not marry up with out adapters. American Pipe threads are pretty much standard all over the world as are Hose bib threads. However Hypro use a British standard pump thread on most of there better pumps. You can get a nylon fitting to screw on these but they can and will leak a little. Therefore when dealing with Hypro pumps you must use their connectors.

Try using a stand nylon or PVC 3/4 thread to see if it fits. If that works, get a Pipe to hose adapter and use your garden hose. Another problem could be a bad thread on the tank. Northern might or might not stand good for it. In any case a new thu hull fitting should fix the problem. I am lucky because 25 miles east of me is a large Agriculture store that specializes in nothing but Spray equipment for the Citrus Industry. They build large and small spray units and have most parts in stock.
  3. oOTurfmanoO

Thanks for the reply Ric.

What I purchased is called a 3/4" Nylon Barb to Male hose adaptor.
    Is this what you are referring to?
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds right to me. Remember 3/4 GHT (garden hose thread) will not fit 3/4 pipe thread.

However you may have damaged the tank threads in trying to screw it in.

Take it to a good hardware or plumbing store. They can help. They may need to run a "thread chaser" through the fitting to clean up any areas that were cross-threaded.
  5. oOTurfmanoO

Ouch, I was afraid someone would say this. I think this is what will end up happening. We all know that aftedr ramming on something like this for a few, you always ruin the damn threads.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

No that is not what I was referring to. If the tank has a Female fitting you can buy a adapter that screws into your Tank and a Garden hose can be screwed on the the same fitting. They are called Pipe to Hose fittings and come in many differ ways as in Male to male or Male to Female or Female to Female Etc. By using that adapter you can hook any garden hose to the tank with out cutting it.

Yes I said something about Buggered threads but not much. I will bet a dime to a donut that is the Problem.