50 gallon drums of gas

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by befnme, Aug 31, 2005.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

the gov. says we are running out of gas and that aint no joke.the price dont bother me but if you cant get it that is a problem.we are running out of regular around here @3.00 a gal.think im gonna fill up some 50 gal drums maybe that will get me through the drought. what are yall doing to make sure ya got a plenty to keep going?

2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Most gas station are already out and where are you going to get 50 gallons at? Are here the limit is 10 gallon per vehicle per visit and there is as high as an hour wait time. The gas lines are unreal.

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Its an idea, but doesn't gas get old after a week?

4. befnme

in my little town there isnt a limit yet.i hate to hear that you have one i mean realy how far can you go on 10 gal.it dont even fill up the mowers.good luck.

5. fixer67

Yes, and it is already 3 or 4 days old by the time you get it.

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

So whats the point? Are you not wasting your money? Or will you ad fuel stabilizer?

7. fixer67

Fuel stabilizer will help but the one mistake people make by using it they think it will last forever after they add the Fuel stabilizer it will not. I only extends the life to a few weeks to a month at best. And mistake #2 they make is they think it will bring gas back from the dead and it will not. Gas is made to self-destruct. All the chemicals in the gas fight each other and destroy the gas. I have often wondered if the gas companies did this not for better gas but to prevent people from stock piling it. I remember when you could take a gallon of gas screw the lid on tight and use it from one summer to the next with no problem and I am not that old. Now it does not matter how well it is sealed it will go bad because it is made to. I wonder how long gas in other parts of the world can last before it goes bad?

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

................. A week?

9. fixer67

Yes, gas starts to break down in about a week. Depeneding on what you are using it in you can use it after that time. A timmer may not run a 10 day old gas but the mower will. The mower may not run on 2 or 3 week old gas but the car will. Temp and storeage and what it is being used in changes the usefull life of gas. Did you know that gas and you soda pop have something in commom? Soda has CO2 in it and it goes flat. Well gas has propane, butane and such in it. they leak out and the gas goes flat just like your soda

10. befnme

im not sure how long gas is made to last but i would think it is atleast a few weeks old but the time we get it.any way if i bought 200 gallons it would prob be gone in a couple of weeks any way.it was just an idea.