1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

50 hp Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever used one of these? I was just looking at them on their website, and it might be the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. The body on these things doesn't look like it's very well made. The motor sure is huge though.

2. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

its not a bad machine if you you are talking about the silver eagle series...? light commercial

3. valleylawn79

valleylawn79 LawnSite Member

my bad; i misread your post; thought it said 20 hp. that 50 is a beast and will cut anything almost!!!! saw one last week throwing grass 20 feet from the deck. it may not be as cosmetic as some but it will cut if you like that setup.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

They may not look very good to some people but they will cut grass like there's no tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about the strength of the mower either. They come with a lifetime frame warranty. The frame is so strong that Art Evans, the owner of Dixie Chopper, built not one but two 175 hp turbine powered Dixies just to prove how much power the frame can handle. The Dixies can be seen at various expos and shows.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

dixies design have never made cosmetics a high priority (see the run behind), but they make machienes that cut grass very well. they must be doing something right....

6. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I wasn't actually looking at buying it. lol. I just was screwing around on their site this morning and saw it. I was just wondering if anyone had used one. 50 hp is just ridiculous. That's about as much power as a geo.

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

it must be awfull on the gas consumption though.

8. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I seen one cut a hay field going 10 miles an hour. :)

9. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

ive got a 54 HP twin engine machine....and it will cut anything you can give it and go up the steepest grades imagineable

But the fuel consuption leaves much to be desired....im talking somewhere in the neiboorhood of 3 gal/hour.....we have several jobs we need it for and are the reasons that we bought it and those are basically the only jobs its getting used on

10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Five Star, post some pics of it. Lots of them! Thanks.