50 miles to find a commercial grade

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rickhise, Feb 18, 2007.

1. rickhise

rickhise LawnSite Member

I M going to buy a commercial grade for my own mowing. in the past on a 60 inch cut, IM 2 full hours getting it all mowed, one side hill which for about 4 full runs about at 120 yards long at a 45 degree angle, enough to keep you alert. (is this an oil pump issue) the rest is flat and uncomplicated ...owned a used mtd last year which handeled it I sold it so i could get a newer unit........

I have a gravely dealler about an hours drive.
    Snapper dealler 1.5 hour drive.
    dixie chopper an hour driver
    scagg about an hour
    and Im sure most any brand in an hour and a half.

I like the gravely deallership.......is it a chevy ford issue or there some real issues you can inform me of thanks

would like to hear any problems you all know about gravely in comparrison

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Scags my pic

3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie chopper is great on the sidehills, its worth the trip. If I say what I know about gravely, certain dealers on this site come out to quash the truth, as soon as it appears.

4. rickhise

rickhise LawnSite Member

On both a gravely and a snapper commercial grade would love to hear user's pro's and cons, let me hear from the users.

best tip offered for getting the dealer's to quote you his best bottom line price.........I know some of you have the knack will you share it?

I would assume the dealer is still looking for some pre spring sales

5. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

With the hill I would suggest demoing a few models, especially with that grade. I know when I get on those with a Lazer Z AS I get real nervous as well, even after running it for 7 years. You want a mower with the lowest possible seat height available to keep a low center of gravity. I believe the lowest seat level on your list is the SCAG. Take a tape measure with you and measure the seat level and sit in the sea and get a feel for how it fits you. Also the wider it is the better.you may want to go with a 72".

A tire change over the stock ones for a little more aggressive tread may be a good idea as well. If you do this be real careful in your turn arounds as an aggressive tire would act like a roto-tiller.

With the hill you may be better off with a walk behind and a sulkie. If you are looking for productivity i believe Gravely is the fastest topping out at 8 mph. Although not as fast as a ZTR it would add a little "jumpability" into the equation.

6. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely all the way. I just purchased a 260Z brand new from my local dealer for $8,000. If your in good with the dealer they'll work with you. You might also want to consider the 160 its just a tad smaller overall but is still a real good machine.
    Pro is the suspension seat, hydro deck lift, fast, stong pumps, strong pto clutch, several motor options (I chose the 27 kohler, I simply prefer them b/c of previous experience), the hood is nice on the 260 b/c it actuallys makes it quieter, nice wide stance holds the hills better then any other one I've been on.
    Only con that i have found is the anit scalp wheels on the deck are noisy, but maybe it will just take me a while to get use to it.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you like the gravely dealer, that would be the place to go IMO!!

8. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Id go with the gravely as well

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You say the gravely dealer is closest? That alone would sell me.

Gravely makes a great product, go visit your dealer and see what they can do for you

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with prostriper about the WB on a grade like that ... the safety consideration is certainly an issue.