50% off Spring Cleanup

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by C6H12O6, Apr 8, 2011.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 LawnSite Member

I just wanted to bounce this off of someone. I'm thinking about fall cleanup marketing.

What do you think about offering 50% off of spring cleanup (or some percentage) if they had me do a fall cleanup? I'm thinking not only would there be less work to do in the spring but it will allow me to be there early in the year to try to get or keep them as a weekly mowing customer.

AMA

2. coreyod21

coreyod21 LawnSite Member

With gas prices being so high you might be putting yourself in the hole unless you were charging alot for clean ups prior. What I did to change it up this year is just add a free cut to all my clean ups. It works out because they hear "free". It only takes a few extra minutes to cut and I use the bagger to really make the place look clean. I still do it on the hourly rate for clean ups also. So its a win win. It also allows me to show new clean up customers how well I cut and they in return they want me back for weekly maintence. Hope I helped.

3. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 LawnSite Member

Good idea. I obviously need to think about this strategy so i'm starting now. Thanks.

AMA

4. Get Some...

Get Some... LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

50% is alot of dough....

5. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

maybe 15% but 50 is way to much theres alot that could happen people move, dont hae the money to do the fall cleanup what if u got a big cleanup$1000+ you be gdoing it for 500. i have thought about doing the same exact thing but thought about it for a while and i dont know if it would be worth it

6. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

The only way I'd do that was if they paid the fall clean up up front. You'd do the spring clean up at a discount, then in the fall they'll forget you.
    You'd be beat.

7. cslawnandlandscape

cslawnandlandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

50% off is huge, I am doing it at 15% off for spring and fall if they sign an agreement for mowing for the season and that can take a chunk off the bill, but it has gotten me mowing agreements from almost all of them who are getting clean ups. The others no discount.

I saw someone the other day on craigslist posting that they are doing them for free? :dizzy: I would be out of business before the season even started!

8. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Show them to your customers home and just say there yours and still charge your price to the customer and get paid 100% for doing nothing lol.

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a horrible idea.

10. MDLawn

MDLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed. I understand giving discounts for an upfront payment, but even mine are minimal. 50% off sounds like you are begging for work. Start giving crazy discounts and customers will want 50% of fall clean up, 50% of mulch, 50% of whatever. The reason you give a discount is because you are getting something (payment ahead of time) that benefits you. Giving a discount on hoping they give you something else is dangerous. I'm always surprised people will give discounts on only lawn maintenance, or only mulching. Whats the discount for? What are you getting out of it? Most places work by giving a discount for multiple purchases, not on one. To each their own.