50 series excavator for removal of stumps

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grass disaster, Mar 27, 2012.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i have a personal project of removing about 10 medium (12-15") stumps and 2 large (24"??) ones

thinking of renting a 50 series excavator. my father in law is a machine operator.

i can rent the hoe and trailer for $300. for 8hrs of use. prob throw the father-in-law $100 for operating

will this machine be big enough for the job? my dads 1ton diesel should pull it no prob.

i also thought about hiring it out but dont think anyone will touch it for $400.

please advise

2. grass disaster

Bumpxxxxxxxx
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. CHRIS92789

CHRIS92789 LawnSite Senior Member

why not just rent a stump grinder...I have been using them around me for the last few weeks and we cut down about 10 trees at one persons house. (None of which were dieing) and each stump was between 20- 27 inches across. It took about 3 hours to grind all the stumps. The cost of the stump grinder was 250.00. Around me you can also rent the toro dingo with stummp grinder attachment in the front. for the same price.

4. grass disaster

i have a couple of big mounds of dirt too i'd like leveled off. that i wouldnt be able to move with the skid. so i thought this would be the way to go.

5. grass disaster

They have a couple wackers with about 40hp. Also have a volvo 48 all that I can trailor for $300 a day (8hrs use).

Are these big enough?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. CHRIS92789

Yeah. I think that would do the job.

7. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

8. grass disaster

That thumb looks handy. Do they all have that?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. grass disaster

10. CHRIS92789

You will just have to reall dig around the stump, then that should lift it out no problem!