50 Step Lawn Care program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by 1BadHawk, Apr 28, 2005.

1. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I keep hearing the same story about how "my other lawn care company had me on this 6 step, or 8 step, or even 10 step, lawn fertilization program... and my lawn still looks like crap." Not to mention, all the extra's, aeration, dethatch, overseed, pesticide... so on and so on.

What do you consider a complete lawn care fertilization process and how many applications do you recommend throughout a season.
  2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have mine on a 4 application plan and they look great.

BTW... wrong forum.

Another thing... I haven't heard back from you. Still interested?
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

4 app's a year. Another strong selling feature against the big boy.
  4. GrassR1

GrassR1 LawnSite Member

As with any business, the success is not in the number of applications, but in the quality of the products and the attention of the applicator. We offer 7 steps in Connecticut, but focus primarily on using the best products and hiring the best help. This is why our clients like us.

4 Steps may well be sufficient to meet many clients' needs. Just make sure they are 4 quality steps. With that, you'll improve upon any 5,6, or 7 step program that is shoddily performed.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Get them on 12 step program of recovery from True Scam Brown Lawns Nitrogen dependency program.
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this word "aplication" is a ******** word. what is an "aplication?" before i know how many "aplications" to apply, i need to know the formulation of these "aplications". how many lbs of nitrogen per season do i want? do i want 4 "aplications" of 20-5-10? or do want 3 "aplications " of 30-5-10? or maybe 8 "aplications" of 10-5-10? what is my target pest? how can you give a general amount of "aplications"
  7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont know how guys stay in business with only 4 apps. My standard is six....4.5-5lbs of N per year per 1000. Some customers get 7 and a few get 9.
    The ones with 9 get 6 apps plus 3 liquid iron...some with primo maxx. Ironically the 7 and nine app customers .....typical $1000+ each prepay for the season ...they literally cant get the check in the mail fast enough.

This season I stopped giving quotes. Saved a lot of running around...If you want it to look great I'll send you a bill....if you want a price call so and so.
  8. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

So first off we have to determine how much of what is needed correct?

We do this by what? soil testing or a good rule of thumb?

Once we know how much, then how we need to figure how often.

How do you guys do it?
  9. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

AMEN, GRASS 1 !
  10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

It's only retarted when it's spelled wrong 8 times in the same post... :p