50 Yards of mulch...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by colonel landscaping, Aug 28, 2003.

1. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

How much would you charge to put 50 yards of pine mulch down at a hospital.. this can be done any way you want.. give me your prices and how you would go about this task... there are numerous beds everywhere.. from parking lot islands... to entrance way gardens.....

2. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I bill $45 per yard, and sub it for $31. $14 dollar profit per yard and it only takes 5 min for the phone call.

3. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

Not familiar with pine mulch. Can it be blown?

4. bam

bam LawnSite Senior Member
    from .

for a small amount like 50 yards, I'd have a 5 man crew spread it by hand. deliver the mulch to the site and load your pickup or dumptruck, get close to the beds and move thru it.

for 50 yards a mulch blower is a waste. even 2 or 3 men can spread that quickly especially on a hosp. campus. try doing it in the evening or weekend when their is alot less traffic.

and about $50 a yard.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but $50 a yard installed, right? I'm going to be doing alot of mulch hopefully very soon, just curious on pricing. Thanks.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Here's a good rule of thumb

2 - 4x your cost of material, for material and labor. If you have extenuating circumstances that make the job more difficult than higher than 4x is acceptable.

If I am doing bulk like 50 yards. I base the estimate on the per yard cost. Though I am buying the 50 yards at less than the per yard price.

If your paying say $20 per yard for the mulch 2.5 - 3x is fair.
    If your paying say $65 for a gravel then 2.5 - 3 is fair.
    for that 50 yard job

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

$3800.

8. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I Charge $65.00 a yard. Which for 50 yards is $3250.00 and I pay $15.25 a yard. So my profit is $2488 Not Bad for a 1 Day Job :blob4: :blob1: :blob3:

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

at least 65 a yard, for the cheap stuff

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This formula works pretty well.