1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

50 + Year Old Boxwoods

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Plant Buyer 83, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

I just took some old pictures off my camera last night and had some pics I thought some of you might find interesting. Here are some boxwoods that were planted in ~1953. We used 5 of them for a very high end customer we had. They were really nice plants.

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Outstanding, I amazed they lasted that long, How long can they grow?
  3. polska

polska LawnSite Senior Member

how much did you pay for each one?
  4. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I once saw a formal boxwood hedge that was barely 2' tall... but it was 160 years old give or take.
  5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Different variety of boxwood. Was probably also clipped regularly. What is the name of the nursery where you got those? I am looking for some like that for a development being done in a formal french theme.
  6. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

I think we charged $2,000 for each one installed. Keep in mind that they aren't really located on a nursery. It is just a guy who's Dad owned a small Farm and decided to plant some boxwoods to grow and sell. He intended on waiting & selling them as large specimen but the Dad passed away fairly early in life and now the son lives on the land, he doesn't farm it anymore.

So, we had to drive almost 3hrs one way with a F750 w/ a trailer a 3500 water truck w/ a T300 Bobcat & our tree spade on a trailer. We had to dig them ourselves which had myself and 2 others guys tied up all day including the equipment that wasn't out on a job making $. Not to mention he has a well as his water source no irrigation, so we had to bring our own water. It was a fairly large process but I think it was worth it.

Firefly - If you are Seriously interested in the plants and have the equipment to get them PM me and we can talk further.

7. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

You should have charged more then 2K per plant especially with all that time and equipment involved.
  8. Oasis-Outdoor

Oasis-Outdoor LawnSite Member

Had never seen Boxwoods that have grown to that size. That is a super rare find you have there. Thanks for sharing the info. I have always been impressed with the hardiness and disease resistance of Boxwoods!