500 Thousand dollars

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnproslawncare, Apr 21, 2008.

1. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

So who here would buy a company that has 150-200 clients year around, 200,00 in equipment (5 ztrs, 1 mb 16' w.a.m, leaf truck, 3 plow trucks, 2 jd 450's w/ snow blowers, spray rigs, ztr setup for fert, tree spade truck, 3 trailers, 1 dump trailer, 1 enclosed, and a slew of blowers, trimmers, push mowers, edgers, and hedge trimmers.

company wants 500k for it. Is it worth that? how much value can be put on customers?

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Broad brush, it sounds like a really outlandish price !!

3. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

$500k is a lot of cash. What is the yearly income from this biz?
    You can not get excited purely by the equipment. Those are just expenses in the end if there are not enough dollars coming in.

4. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

what is the yearly profit for the last 3 years?

5. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I dont think it is worth it to buy customers, they can leave at any time. I would let the company die and hope to get some of them :)

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Name of company and where do they service?

There is no way one can evaluate the value of the business in 4 lines of text.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you ask here people will think its worth 1/2 the value of the equipment minus 3 months gross, unless its theirs....

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto x2:hammerhead:

9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

If you are talking about a "real" business that can function with current or new management that is really a money making machine it is worth 3-4 times the net profit plus fair market value of the equipment. imho

Now if you are talking about a company that is shooting from the hip and is only as successful as the owner who is working 50+ hours a week and a couple of key employees that know where all the skeletons are buried that is not a business at all. Its a job the owner owns and its not worth squat imho.

10. bj351

bj351 LawnSite Member

i dont see how anyone puts any value to accounts. i will never PAY for an account. what keeps the guy from buying new equipment and getting his accounts back? what if everyone drops you? not likely... but ive never understood why anyone would pay for an account. plenty of work out there boys, just gotta get out and look for it. just my 2 cents