1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

500 Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sam c, Apr 22, 2001.

1. sam c

sam c LawnSite Member

First, I'm not selling anything. I found a walker model #mcghs serial #91-10392 with 42" collection deck and 16hp Kohler and the guy said it's a back-up unit for him and he'd sell it to me for $500.00 to help me get started in this business. Is this unit so old or obsolete it's not worth getting involved with? I rode it around his parking lot and it seems to be fully functional, except when backing up it tries to buck me off. What's up with that? Other than needing a paint job and a couple of tires it seems to have been very well maintained.It has also been very well used.This unit has seen more hours in a week than I will probably use in a season. I thought this might be the only chance I would get to afford a walker for a while and after doing some price research I haven't seen one below the 4 digit price range. Thanks for any advice.
  2. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

I would buy it for $500.00! You could put a couple extra bucks into it and have a good machine.
  3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

What is the question ?

If you are concerned about no parts available go to a dealer and ask them.

I'd buy it though if the condition is what you say.

4. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

500.00! wow! check with the law enforcement to make sure it isn't stolen, it sounds to good to be true, but if it isn't then snag it!
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Jump on it man! You got a deal, don't ask questions, just buy it and you can dump 1k into it and have a GREAT mower!
  6. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I sold a 95 with a ton of miles on it last summer for 2500.00. I had a friend buy one that sounds a lot like yours for 1500.00 and he got porked. Everything from the motor to the Hydro units to the gearboxes blew on him and and he ended up spending a fortune on it. The intake chute on the older ones are really small and clog constantly and I think the pto is electrical.
    If you don't have many accounts, give it a shot or use the 500.00 for a down payment on a decent 48" WB. Just my opinion
  7. dhicks

dhicks Member

Get a receipt if you buy it.
  8. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Sam C,
    where in southeastern NH are you located? I'm based out of Rye, NH 50 yds from the ocean.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

SAM C : The Walker 16 HP units are considered light industral. If you have small flat properties then it will work. I would recemend holding out for at least a 20 HP, 48" GHS unit. You can run a 62" SD deck with the 20 HP if needed.

10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Walkers will bounce the tail a bit until you get used to them...very touchy hydros. I would not be concerned if that was the only thing you found wrong. Keep in mind though that they are VERY expensive to repair. How are the hydros? Does it track straight, pull hills? How many hours on the engine? For five bills you should be alright. Cheap way to tell if you really like a Walker. They are not for everyone or every job.